Steering column

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alzy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I`ve contacted cool air about sourcing a bearing for my 72 x-over steering column and they have informed me that this is no longer produced!! I have contacted Mega Bug and i`m just waiting for a reply!

Does anyone have any ideas where else i could get one from????

Cheers :mrgreen:

Let us know how you get on,the one on my Westy is getting a bit sloppy (top bearing I assume) Is the bearing a 1 year only part on the '72 ?

How did you get on with your fitment? I ordered one of these too and the internal hole appears to be too small to fit on the column.

Edit,I went to the bluebird customs stall at camperjam and they sent me a split screen one by mistake,luckily they had the right one with them which fitted easily and perfectly.

I fitted it today and its all sorted!! Great news!! Just slid straight in!! I have another question though!!??

The tube that the column slides through down the the cap on the cab floor is flapping around something chronic so i checked the trusty haynes and it appears i may be missing a plastic thing and a seal???

Is this right??

Cheers guys

Alex

OK folks - my steering bearing is knackered and I need to replace it

Have ordered a bush from Bluebird - just need to find out how to get the old bearing out

Have tried hitting with a screwdriver and hammer - not too hard at this stage - thought I would be better off asking the question before I stuff something up

any ideas? JOSH

Mine came out with a bit of persusion and a hammer and chisel! But hefty i know but it did the trick!! Go careful though. It seems as though there is 3 nipple type things underneath the bearing holding it in place. It was a bit tricky but i managed to split the knackered bearing and spin it from horizontal to vertical(if you know what i mean) and then slid it out.

Hope that helps

Alex

I've just ordered one of these Bluebird bushes, does it replace the bearing then?

Cheers
8)

Do you need to remove the steering column? Is it pretty straightforward?

Ta
8)

Take the steering wheel off and all that goes with it! you may have to take the collar off of the bottom of the column(im not sure on this as mine is missing so didn`t have to do it) and the tube that the column runs through will give you enough room to slide it down to its position. I used a flat head screwdriver and tack hammer with some light precsion tapping.

Any one else may be able to shed a bit more light on this.

HTH

I spoke to Bluebird today and they said you don't need to remove the bearing, the bush just slides over the top then you replace the spring etc. Job done! 8)

Latest posts