steering expert knowledge needed please.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geordie

Reaction score
My bus has been restored so lots of part have been removed and lost, through no fault of my own. I've got a problem with my steering. when turning left, then straightening up it will only straighten up half way. i did manage to fix it by turning the outer sleeve anti clockwise?
Question has the outer sleeve been fitted upside down and how can i find out?
is there supposed to be some type of inner collar inside the sleeve?
the indicator mount doesn't feel as if its been bolted to the column properly it can be pushed clockwise, anti clockwise, up or down.

any advice would be appreciated :D

thanks Geordie

Fuck it
Like everything I'll sort it out my self.
Though someone may have
experience this :roll:
Thanks for the feed back!

Geordie, I'm not sure without pictures what is wrong with the steering column, but my bus had a loose indicator stalk and it turned out that over the years of use the half-moon bracket thing inside the housing gets worn so it doesn't grip the column. I managed to cut a couple of small pieces of sheet tin and slid them into the housing, I'll see if I can get a couple of snaps over the weekend for you to show what I did to fix it.

Thanks yetti

Sorry for the out burst, Im just a bit shell-shocked how and why this
happened. I've spent over three year
Having it restored its mint, only to find this.
More importantly was I dove it down the road with my son and niece in it without a mot
As well, I'm stupid I know. I'm So So upset because only be chance it could have been fatal!
Spoke to mechanic whom worked on her, who was straight on the defensive.
May or maybe his fail
its not a witch-hunt I just need someone whom can help me sort this out.

I got a question if anyone can answer please, where should the indercator stalk
Point to as if it was on a clock face please

Question; is the steering wheel supposed to lock when the key is out of the ignition because
Mine does not!
Thank you for responding

Geordie

Do you have a bentley or haynes manual?

They should have exploded diagrams which shows the correct construction and orientation of the column parts.

I'm no expert and not had the same problems, though that is where I would start.

George I've got a Bentleys
I don't want to start opening it up
Until I understand why and how
The steering outer column can turn a quarter
Why I don't know

I've spoken to schofields they said you shouldn't be able to turn it
So I'm a bit hesitant to open her up

I don't know if it's anything to do with the ignition?
How can I find out?
Thanks Geordie

Hi Geordie, I`ve just popped down to the garage to have a look, good excuse for a fag :lol: My indicator is at nine o`clock and if I squidge it around it could go a fraction either way by half an inch at the end of the lever. Again I`ve not had the column out but I`ll do a little search and see what I can find out for you.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, When I can find my Bentley :shock: :mrgreen: :?

Thanks Ozzie as always a top dog fella

Also having. Fag in the garage :lol:

P.S. I`m Right Hand Drive, I`m guessing you are too ?? Don`t know if it`s different to left hand drive ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Bentley,,,,,, where are yoooooooo :mrgreen:

Question the steering wheel was removed off the dash mounting so I need to work back from there I suppose?

Geordie

Ozzie im not sure
At the bottom of the column present there's a section that sticks out of the column 90deg
Like a tooth

Question; where should the indicator mounting be in relation to the steering wheel. (Should ig be right up to it?

This ``tooth``, could it be a tag to take an electrical connection like a female spade to go over the ``tooth``. There is one of these on the bottom of the column somewhere to work the earth for the horn.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I`m going back down for a look for a tooth :mrgreen:

I'm not sure but doesn't it some how go into the plastic bush?
Does your steering wheel lock with the igontion key out?
It happened again when the indicator mounting was off only when turning the
Outer steering column fixed it so what is supposed to fix the outer column or is it
So thing to do with the ignition?

Yes I can see a ``tooth`` a bit bigger than I described above, it looks like it`s connected to a piece that looks a bit like a vacuum cleaner hose connector and I think that`s an isolator that looks like it rests on the bolted down cover plate. The ``tooth`` bit looks like it`s a locator to fit the isolator in the correct position, I`m guessing the `` tooth`` hooks down into the cover plate and on mine the ``tooth`` is in between your feet and aimed at your balls,, if you had long dangly balls that is :shock: . The indicator switch on mine has a cover fitted to both sides and makes it a perfect fit between the wheel and the column stay which has the ignition in it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Things you don`t look at :lol:

Yes,, if you take the key out, the steering will lock if you turn the wheel a few inches. If the steering box has been off, we might be into a new ball game. There was a thread about this recently where a chap had loads of steering one way but very little the other. From memory the putting back together process had everything centralised before hand apart from the steering box and that was where it all went Pete Tong. I`m thinking you may need to have another van alongside to confirm what you may or may not have. But this is starting to look like you may have the nail on the head with the box removal. Easy enough to check with the front jacked up, as to how much you can turn to the left and how much to the right. But where so much has been apart and you are not quite sure what parts are missing or not, I wouldn`t venture on to the road just yet, or until you`ve checked how much steering you have. Maybe no need to jack it if you just want to have a rough guide initially.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Gotta hit the sack now bud, till tomorrow :mrgreen:

The steering lock should work but it all depends on how your column has been put together, mine doesn't lock until about half a turn to the left(i think).

The outer column shouldn't twist as the insulating ring at the base of the column has a key in it, and the outer column has a slot. It is also tightly held at the top of the column below the steering wheel with a large rubber donut.

Irrelevant of that though, as long as the outer column is not loose in the axial or radial direction I can't see how this would be a major issue. The column purely protects the inner column, aids holding the steering bracket up and column bearing(hence the need for no axial or radial movement) and allows for a independent ground for the horn.

The issue relating to self centering of the wheel after turning(I think that's what your describing?) is usually something to do with the toe-in or tracking set up of the wheels, incorrect toe reduces the wheel centering force I think.

Sent from my thl T6 pro using Tapatalk

Latest posts