steering expert knowledge needed please.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this is of any use to anybody, but when I got my bus, the indicator body would just move about on the steering column and the last owner had used insulating tape to pack out the looseness (which didn't work), so I took the unit off and on the inside there is a half moon piece which fits into slots either side of the housing.

This is the half moon bit and the next pic's show the worn housing on both sides (it's made of aluminium or someother soft metal).

I used small pieces of metal glued into the housing to fill the worn sections shown.

But in the process of taking the housing apart to take some pic's for 'geordie', one piece fell out, so I had to make a better repair. I decided to weld metal onto the half moon bit (ain't got a clue what it's called).

And a bit more, because it didn't sit flush with the housing.

Sorry for some of the photo's (a bit blurry), but remember when tightening the screws don't go too mad or you might break the unit, and with mine, there is a very small gap either side of the housing so adjust it evenly and also make sure you leave a 2mm gap between the housing and steering wheel (so the indicator cancels) and now the housing doesn't swing about anymore.

Another thing before I go, when I took the steering column apart on my bus, the shaft had a piece of metal, like a large 'C' shape welded around the shaft, so when the key is removed from the ignition a small bolt comes out and engages between the gap between the welded bit i.e. steering locked. This bolt goes through a oblong hole in the outer column so it has to be lined up properly when re-installed, I hope I haven't gone over what other people have written.

Yettie thank you so much for the sound advice
And pictures your s star!

Apologies for not getting back sooner
I'm away at the moment back Friday
Where im going to check all the above
Will report back thanks

Geordie

doom :shock:
I've found out today the problem its the steering lock :shock: and the mounting brackets knackered :shock: as well.

So i need one anyone recommend where i can get one with the working inside it ?

Geordie

I think that Mattp on here had one for sale if I understand the part you need correctly.

Latest posts