Steering wheel covers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loxy

Reaction score
Seen a couple of pics of vans with 70s style steering wheel covers, anyone know where you can get one to fit a 72 crossover wheel?
I'm guessing one that you wrap like a tennis racquet grip would work best?Preferably in leather.
Tried the JK one but its for a later bus with a fatter wheel.

Heres a pic of one posted by slammedkustom

dash2.jpg

I find the wheel is too thin at the moment and not comfortable for long journeys, we drove to Hungary in the van for our summer holiday so I wrapped some old jeans material round it then fitted the JK cover, but its crap.

i got mine in a local motor factors in east london, next time im over there ill have a look to see if they have anymore

Loxy said:
How is it fitted to the wheel is it a lace up? or is it wrapped around like a tennis racquet grip?
BTW thats a good looking van.

thanks for the kind words, its a wind around style but i think you can lace it up too.

have you seen..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classic-VW-Black-Real-Leather-Steering-wheel-cover-NOS_W0QQitemZ140068132498QQihZ004QQcategoryZ40195QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Slammedkustom, yes I did see that but I thought that it it would be too small, dont think its a wraparound it looks like the one I got from JK that is a big loop that has to be stretched over the wheel. Thanks for looking though.

This may not be of much use but GoWesty in the US sell leather steering wheel wraps. I've got one on my own wheel - they're of the lace-up kind and are good quality. Price is $40 which at the current exchange rate will be slightly over 20 quid (plus p+p and plus import duty).
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_category.php?id=65&parent_id=

For an added bit of bling, this bloke on The Samba was selling coloured ones for $39...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=299053

Thanks JohnS, I like the look of the coloured ones on thesamba, the only thing is that I really want it to be as thick as a modern wheel as I find them much more comfortable over long distances, not sure if this will be fat enough.

Loxy said:
I really want it to be as thick as a modern wheel as I find them much more comfortable over long distances, not sure if this will be fat enough.

My own cover does add some extra girth to the wheel but no way does it bring it up to the thickness of a modern wheel. What I would say is that it makes the wheel more cushioned and improves the grip - especially handy when trying to park up with sweaty hands in the middle of summer (remember that) and if it's laced up tight it doesn't slide around. The overlap or hem where the two ends come together for stitching is quite generous so if you wanted to increase your girth :wink: you could always wrap an extra layer around the wheel before putting the leather cover on.

Latest posts