Steering wheel recommendations?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottom rung

Reaction score
Hi everyone
My old wheel is falling apart, and the horn push is missing. It will need replacing shortly, and while I would really like a moto-lita, I have to keep real with the finances. Has anyone got any experience of these £60 pattern wheels being advertised on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T2-Early-Bay-Window-Standard-Steering-Wheel-Black_W0QQitemZ300392998514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45f0d16672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alternatively if anyone has one of those old horrible nasty moto-litas (with a boss) that they want to get shut of for a good price, let me know ;)

i heard that ebay copies are not as good as you would want so i bought a wooden moto-lita copy from mws.

its now fitted and looks pretty good, especially for the money.

http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/P-1489-15-Classic-Wooden-Flat-Steering-Wheel---With-Holes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bottom rung said:
Hi everyone
My old wheel is falling apart, and the horn push is missing. It will need replacing shortly, and while I would really like a moto-lita, I have to keep real with the finances. Has anyone got any experience of these £60 pattern wheels being advertised on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T2-Early-Bay-Window-Standard-Steering-Wheel-Black_W0QQitemZ300392998514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45f0d16672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alternatively if anyone has one of those old horrible nasty moto-litas (with a boss) that they want to get shut of for a good price, let me know ;)

avoid those like the plague......

i purchased one and they don't fit either late or early steering columns because of the completely wrong spline pattern (the size may be correct but the pattern is not. I bought a late column and now have a late column with steering wheel that is useless. These wheels seem to be doing the rounds but the spline pattern is all wrong.

If you are buying a wheel, repro like this seek cast iron assurances that it will infact fit your vehicle. When i challenged the guy selling me the duff one (he had at least 10 on sale) he just said "heres your money back and you can keep the wheel" so he must have known it was from a duff batch.

As johnny said there are some duffers do a quick search as recently this came up and someone on here got one that fitted an earlybay....

theres a few sellers on ebay so you may as well go with a tried and tested one.....

I got one of those of eBay last year - but not from this seller. The seller I bought mine from still lists them (and he has different ones for late bays, so may know what he is talking about) - I'll pm you the seller if you want.

I'm really pleased - it did indeed fit and looks good. But judging from the comments I've had, I think I was lucky!!!

Cheers,
Nick

Ooh, one thing - the indicator cancel ring on my new wheel doesn't meet the indicator switch mechanism. But then neither did the one I took off (which looked like the original) - so it may be my indicator switch is wrong.

Nick

bottom rung said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone. It looks like the MWS moto-lita copy is winning at the moment. Curly Head, do you have any pics of yours fitted to your bus? Thanks!

i really like that, as well boss and wheel for under 200 notes isnt bad at all.

i havent got any pics of mine at the moment but it is the same as 'beeglebus.'

the image is about half way down on link below

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1670&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as you can expect not as good quality as moto lita but i only paid about £120 delivered with boss.

i am going to throw the centre cap away (cheap plastic) and get something machined from ali to match boss

That looks great. I have put a few bids on fleabay for some secondhand moto-litas; once the crushing disappointment of not winning has worn off, I think I'll give mws a bell. Thanks everyone!

Does anyone know of a company or in fact any 17" wheel at all that has a slight raise/dish to it?

I don't want much but a slight dish will bring the steering wheel higher and hopefully stop me getting a bad back from ending up hunched over the flat wheels i've tried!

alex4057 said:
Does anyone know of a company or in fact any 17" wheel at all that has a slight raise/dish to it?

I don't want much but a slight dish will bring the steering wheel higher and hopefully stop me getting a bad back from ending up hunched over the flat wheels i've tried!

why not talk to MCJ.....

yeah that boss does look a beauty on pictures....... stop it Hartley you dont need a new steering wheel......

sparkywig said:
I keep telling myself that it would be better to finish the welding before buying a new steering wheel, but......

I know the feeling, shiney new stuff, mmmmmmmmmm.

alex4057 said:

I know what you mean Alex but i did it on the original dished wheel as well so i think its just the way it is. Drove splittys the same and a works van i used to knock around in so it must be a height thing.
Have you tried fiftysixdeluxe, they do wheels as well. I got mine from that Magpie fella who originally did these in bus size a few years ago. I got a nice shiney boss from MWC (i hate dealing with them) and the fitting kit from Moto Lita as the MWC kit didnt come with a ring etc. (like i said i hate dealing with them, nothing is ever what they say its going to be).

http://fiftysixdelux.com/restocal.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers for the heads up,

seems they do a 35mm ali spacer that goes with the boss and wheel to give a lift

alex4057 said:
http://fiftysixdelux.com/restocal.htm

Cheers for the heads up,

seems they do a 35mm ali spacer that goes with the boss and wheel to give a lift

Got a spacer with my motolita copy & it does seem to make me sit back more (though I have boxster seats fitted as well now) - I used to slouch over the wheel ;)

Latest posts