Stepping back a few years, how it should be!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete B

Reaction score
Not in, but 9 miles north of Peterborough
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Bus
Have just organised booking camping at Stanford Hall, and with one exception, what a refreshingly old school process it was!
Yes, there is a website and it is necessary to download the booking form. From that point onwards, it is like a step back in time, send a cheque along with an SAE to 'The Estate Office' and your passes will be returned in said SAE.
Just in case there is a problem, there is a new fangled e-mail address but more importantly a telephone number where you may actually speak to a real, live person! I used this obscure facility last year when the event was postponed and shock, horror, was greeted by a well spoken, well informed, very polite lady, who sorted out my issue with great efficiency. Should that approach not be suitable, there is, and wait for it, I kid you not,....., a FAX number!!!!!
I love this approach, soooooo much nicer than the usual and impersonal web based efforts, if it costs a couple of quid more then that's money well spent in my opinion. Fits perfectly with the feel I get now and always have had of this event.

I love it!!! :D

(even if they don't like anything other than std spec stuff!)

EDIT; last cheque I wrote was for car tax in April last year, the one before that was for Stanford Hall last year....... :lol:

I've already filled in a form and sent/received an sae for the club display stuff :)

I think maybe my last cheque was for last years camping pass also :mrgreen:

Then we type about it online .... :?

nice

last year i paid for some parts on here with a postal order

was greeted with a nice response too. bring back the old days i says

jth

Know what you mean Pete, the system just works for Stanford

Generally I find on line works, but last night tried to book a couple of last minute tickets for a local gig in Oxford tonight and just when you get to the payment page the message comes up saying the 'certificate' is not valid and it may not be who they say they are. So I don't take a chance and then this morning the other old fashion approach worked - using the telephone and trying to book tickets that way. The only problem was just as we were trying to book the tickets - there were two available, the guy on the phone said sorry one has just gone so couldn't book it ..... the joys of living in today's tech world

It's a pity they can't bring back the old prices :D like a £1 for a gallon :evil: & a £1 a pint. Now those were they days from what I can remember. :roll:

terrier man said:
It's a pity they can't bring back the old prices :D like a £1 for a gallon :evil: & a £1 a pint. Now those were they days from what I can remember. :roll:

When I first started going to the pub a fiver would see you alright for drinks all night, 20 Embassy No.6 and a Chinese for the walk home. :lol:

terrier man said:
theres no way at a pound a pint you can remember anything at all :D

jth

Be careful that this doesn't turn into a "back in my day" thread.

john the horse said:
terrier man said:
theres no way at a pound a pint you can remember anything at all :D

jth

:lol: :lol: I can't even remember my childhood my Father was a Publican we had two pubs but not at the same time, one of them was in St Pauls Bristol, he always worked on the theory that drink was the answer to all your problems including health
he smoked 40 Capstan full-strength daily we were introduced to alcohol at a very early age starting with Irish Stout then Rough Cider, even a tot of Scotch in are milk at night, had our hair washed then rinsed in beer, didn't do us any harm. :lol: & my Step- Father made it to 82, although today I would of thought he could be facing charges of child abuse. :shock: :lol:

Latest posts