Stereo options ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunky

Reaction score
i've been running without a stereo for a while and have decided its time to fit a new one , there was one fitted under the dash when i bought the van but i removed it as it wasnt the best. The hole in the dash for the radio has been altered by the previous owner who fitted a couple vdo gauges and in doing so cut a few bits from the radio hole to fit them , i've now moved them to an under dash bracket. So my next option is which stereo to fit , i was considering a 7" touchscreen with all the usual ipod/bluetooth options but have now been recently looking at the zuma retro radios , cant make my bloody mind up , what do you guys have fitted ? Pros & cons ?

Cheers

I'm probably going at this in a completely different way to you so feel free to ignore me! But my planned system is a generic 70's AM radio in the dash hole- not a blaupunkt as they're damn expensive- with an ipod connector soldered to the volume pot and the output going to an amplifier with your standard 4 speakers. It's what I'm using in the beetle and it sounds fine by my standards, which aren't high!

I've looked at a few of 70's radios with the added iPod option , I quite like the look of some so it's still an option , only thing I've been unsure of is the conversion quality. I'm not really looking for all singing and dancing monumental sounds just a good decent stereo and speakers will suit me fine [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Just a normal Pioneer Radio/CD with MP3/IPod socket and 4 speakers.

It's not exactly 'in period' but works and sounds fine and didn't cost a fortune.

Touch screen for a car computer running centrafuse ;)

Though at the moment I've taken it out and am using a £90 head unit with blue tooth for hands free and streaming from my phone - it's half the depth of a cd capable one so is perfect for the glovebox

Ive fitted a period VW radio from these

http://www.chromelondon.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks good although the sound quality is not up to modern standards by any means. It also fades off station like they all used to!!... ipod connection works well

I always go Alpine - seems best quality sound to me.

Have you got a sound proofed bus? You really need to do that first otherwise you won't hear much at speed! Also make sure the speakers are mounted properly. I would fit MDF panels in the doors for the fronts and then the door card over the top - don't just fit them to the door cards as they are too flimsy and the speaker will move, losing quality. You can still put the cover over the top on the outside.

Also make sure you still have the plastic liner behind the door card, otherwise the rain will come in via the speaker.

Ive got a Sony xplod head unit in the glove box, but its just used as an amp really, I rarely use the CD player or radio, but guess they are handy to have in case?
Id probably just get an amp mounted somewhere else and free the glovebox back up if I did anything else, but the head unit was lying about anyway and Im not bothered enough to want to spend any money at it.
I fancy a nice og period radio in the dash in some ways, but I also like the unmessed with look of the dash blank in place ....

Latest posts