Stop leak - any good?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hasn't anyone tried it? I'm talking about the small cans of oil that are called stop leak or something, the ones that are supposedly able to stop small leaks and replenish seals??? :shock:

Tezzah said:
Hasn't anyone tried it? I'm talking about the small cans of oil that are called stop leak or something, the ones that are supposedly able to stop small leaks and replenish seals??? :shock:

Never heard of it, my money is on fixing the root cause of the problem - a full gasket set (german) isnt much money - although it will take some time to disassemble the engine, also be prepared for finding things that may need replacing - bearings, valves etc but inthe long term it will lead to a more reliable engine.

I know its probably not what you want to hear but I would think adding anything to the oil that is likely to stop leaks is also going to gunge up the rest of the oil gallerys, oil pressure valves, oil cooler, oil pump etc and the oil (along with air) is the only thing stopping your engine from toasting itself.

Having just said all that - where is the oil actually leaking from? and how much are you losing
?
Sometimes a small oil leak can make a big mess making it look a lot worse than it is, might also be worth smelling it in case its gearbox oil - it has a much stronger smell than your engine oil ;)

As above..... not on these motors the oil is vital for cooling any restictions in galleyways could be catastrophic....

Stop leak only makes the seals swell up. It causes the rubber to become more flexible. The problem is that once you use it and the leak returns (or indeed it doesn't cure the leak in the first place) you cannot use it again.

My advice is to find and fix the leaks properly.

Rich

Latest posts