Stranger in my house?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Bubbles

Reaction score
Well... The story goes, that over the years I have become a bit of a 71 lover. I have had buses, squarebacks,a type 34 ghia, thing, Ghia, Of coarse a few bugs scattered in there. Its easy for me to romance the various vehicles while I have them. But with so many cars and my A.D.D it would be a small miracle for me to get anything else accompilished. So as time has rolled on I have taken to just one year of bus and sold the others. It is so much simplier for me. One only needs to stock one kind of parts. When I go rummageing through my collection of juck I know it fits a 71 bus. But... as the saga continues... I have a stranger in my midst.
There was a sinlge cab in a wrecking yard up in Las Vegas Nevada. I first saw it while busting up the "Beetle Barn"with a friend of mine. I have an affinity for junkyards and when the opportunities arise I try to make myself available. Well, I saw this bus. The bed was full of really dusty shit and it had some bad dents in the nose. The winscreen is broke in about 6 places as it appeared that somthing had fallen on it. The drivers door was being held shut with the seat belt because the jamb was so dented that it could not be latched. It was particularly interesting as it had the Beetle Barn logo painted on it. I did dismiss it as it was not a 71. So the car gets moved to Hesperia California where it continues to languish in the dust. And I don`t give it much thought. In a later conversation with my friend he mentions that the trck is actually a 71. And that he has a customer in Germany who collects all thing Beetle Barn. Well that kinda broke my heart that it was slated to leave the country. Especially since it is a 71 truck. I have been looking for a dbl cab but to no avail. I didn`t want a show car as I have some acreage and the ol` Dodge is ready to die. I was looking for a work type truck. Well I finally, after months of conversations, my friend Chris agrees to sell me the truck. Then its about agreeing to a price. Well, He gave me the car, Yes just gave it to me. Of course on closer inspection it is a 1968. The drive line has all been change the front beam is changed so it has dic brakes on it. And the hub caps match. Its that niether one of us had really looked at it and all the tells said 71 except the door handles. All that aside.
I present to you my new 1968 single cab. Man its Ugly... but not for long. I guess that exceptions have to be made sometimes. Thanks for looking. Todd

SingleCab004_resize.jpg

SingleCab003_resize.jpg

SingleCab001_resize.jpg

I apoligize that the pics are so small I reduced them for ease of loading but I guess that I reduced them a little too much. I will get back with better pics. Cheers

Mabe only 2 per post?
SingleCab006.jpg

SingleCab011.jpg

SingleCab012.jpg

Or maybe not. It took longer to get the rear bumper off than it did to get this thing to start. I did not drive it as it has no brakes to speak of, but soon. It has some cool stuff about it. Then I am gonna work on the dents and just make it driveable and use it as a ranch truck. Of course it will Never be painted and will get parked inside from there on out. I am proud to have this 68 in my house. Thanks for looking, again.

Ok so yesterday I finally got back to dinkin` around with the single cab. After re-routing the brake fluid filler tube, I managed to get a little fluid in and was able to pump up the brakes a little. I had hoped thet I could drive it before tearing it a part. Just to hear the tranny sounds. There were none. Its a bummer to clean and re seal the trans axle and have it be a turd. I think it has pistons and barrels as it went nice. I didn`t drive too far as I just hillbillied the fuel system. So now it is an indoor bus.
SingleCab021.jpg

SingleCab018.jpg

So... the saga continues. It has been a few months. I am not real good at keeping a journal of things , even if its a few pics. And Its such a hassle for me to do the techy shit. But I do have a couple of updated pics. The pink slip arrived in the mail today. Yeah... Without further delay.

Newsinnglecabandcamper016.jpg

Newsinnglecabandcamper017.jpg

Newsinnglecabandcamper013.jpg

Newsinnglecabandcamper014.jpg

singlecab031-1.jpg

Thats Oscar. He loves busses too.
I installed a stock 1600 twinport with dual 40mm Kadrons. It really woke the engine up after that 34 pict 3. The single cab is much lighter than a bus, so it moves out nicely. It is still a work in progress and will improve with time. I am just glad to be able to drive it to our local event April 1st. I love my bus! Thanks for looking.

Oh Yea! I am not going to change anything. Except mechanical stuff. The SC was gifted to me on the condition I will never paint it. It may get a big motor and some all terrain tires sometime. Thanks for looking.

8) Love the Single Cab & Oscar, keep um comin Charlie we love to see what our American Buddies are up to. :D

Latest posts