Struggling to insert outer wheel bearing. Ideas?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RePhil

Reaction score
These are very tight & actually measure 0.2 mm OD greater than the hole in the hub housing.
I checked the original, destroyed, bearing I removed & it was the same size.
I presume that the pressed metal outer race will compress slightly upon insertion to leave a tighter fit.

I pulled the inner ball race in with a length of M12 studding & suitably sized socket.
However the outer bearing just wants to go in pissed & won't stay square. Tapping with increasingly large hammers doesn't seem to be the right approach either.

I have a press but don't really want to remove the whole trailing arm assy.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks, Phil.

You can do it with a large hammer and a 46mm socket... But the easiest way by far is flat on the bench :ugeek:

Thanks gents.

Got one in OK but I damaged the inner race on the other as I was using it to, hopefully, keep the whole bearing in alignment as I forced it in.

Eventually managed with my 46mm socket & a hydraulic puller to push it in. I used shims around the ODs of anything that could move to try & keep everything in line. It still tried to go off line but popped in at the last minute - & surprised me.

Tried the freezer for a while but tbh by the time I was all set up to go it was probably back up to ambient.

Need another bearing now! Not the easiest of jobs.

Phil.

Latest posts