Rear wheel bearing advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharman

Reaction score
Cleaned up my late rear wheel hubs(removed from camper)and bought meyle bearing kits. Installed the inner roller bearing and circling no problem. The outer needle bearing with separate inner race was a right bitch to fit and as a result I've knackered it and ordered another replacement.
I know it's an interference fit and initially failed trying the tappy tappy method with an hammer and pin punch on the back end of the vice. I then took it to my local garage and used their flypress. This too ended miserably. I thought I'd try to press it in with the stub shaft/spacer poking through, and then slide the outer bearing in from the top complete with inner and outer race to try and guide the bearing in.
I pressed the bearing on the outer race using the old bearing and spacers to clear the stub shaft. Once installed the shaft was tight and notchy. I removed the shaft and was unable to turn the inner race. Removed inner race and it had scored on actual rollers. I must've gone on the pee slightly.
Needless to say I cocked up, totally failed and was left having a paddy and threw all my toys out of the pram.
I've since calmed down and wonder if there is a jig/tool for fitting this outer bearing, or better still a idiots guide. I think I may have been better pressing the bearing in without he shaft present. I am a maintenance technician by trade :msn4:
Any advice on how to keep my sanity appreciated in advance. Cheers

Advice- Give up, cry, then take a jerry can to the bus and torch it. :lol: :lol:

In the same situation at present (71 EB but later style bearings)

I don't care what anyone says this is what I've found, current Meyle bearings (yes checked the numbers they are correct) are a very tight fit (the outer bearing inner roller)

I got my mate to press them in at the garage and the outer bearing inner roller wouldn't turn, too tight.

The Febi bearings fit but I'm not 100% happy and ill be surprised if I get 10k miles out of them, however I've found they are the lesser of 2 evils. You can't win, you can tell the Meyle ones are better made but if they don't fit that means nowt.

Bear in mind everyone's hubs will be at slightly different stages of wear so I'm only describing my issue.

None are as good as the original SKF/INA ones, if you find some lucky you.

If you do fit them a bit play when cold is fine, your allowed about 1-2mm at the rim apparently.

Lesson of the day, unless your bearings are groaning, regardless of how many miles they have on them, just repack and be done.

Latest posts