Stuck brakes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyt2owner

Reaction score
Hi guys I finally have my bay running but cant move it as brakes are seized on what's the best way to free them I've tried rocking the van back and forwards in gear but it wont budge cheers for any help

If drums all round, back off the adjusters as far as they will go. Then either drive off in first gear to free them with an almighty bang (not recommended if you're facing downhill), or take off the wheels and give the brake drums a bang with a hammer while trying to turn them.
Put a couple of wheel bolts back in and use a lever on these to help turn the drums.

If you are trying to rock it back and forth, you might need to do that in neutral and not in gear as the motor and box will be impeding your efforts. The rocking back and forth in gear thing, is to free or to try and free a stuck starter motor. Before you go crazy with driving off into oblivion with no brakes :shock: :shock: :shock: try jacking up one wheel at a time and with the wheel in the air and in neutral see if a couple of peeps can wrestle that wheel backwards then forwards backwards then forwards. Sometimes it makes sense to do one at a time and not all four at the same time. I wouldn’t drive too far after that without stripping it all down and examining each brake set up independently. If they’re seized on, its most likely the mechanical workings need a serious look at :msn4: plus it’s possible to rip your linings off of the shoe. You’ll need to loosen them first because you’ll really struggle to get the drums off otherwise if they’re seized. Might also be worth looking at the handbrake cable as it goes into the drum and have someone else work the lever just in case the handbrake cables are part of the issue which is quite possible. Check that the tyres aren’t stuck too, like glued in the mud or whatever :? Backing off the adjusters Is a must do also, and if you’re rocking it too, put a brick on both sides of at least two wheels just in case it frees with a bang and you launch this bus into the garage wall or the neighbours green house :shock: :lol: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, you might need to get physical with it :mrgreen:

Latest posts