Stuck heater cable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Westy

Reaction score
So, after loads of tinkering, I'm going to have to cut open my heater cable pipe to try and get it out. I was thinking of taking out the centre section by sawing across it at both ends. And then replace it by using some form of metail pipe that slides over the outside - perhaps some plumbing pipe.

But I'm wondering about which end to start with? Where is it most likely to hae seized (eithe rusted up os solid with dried grease? I'm thinking the back end as this is closer to being open to the elements than the front end?

Nick

Good luck. Been there and failed few times. What happens is even if you pull out the uncoiling outer, the plastic sheath is left behind welded with rust to the conduit so you can't get the new through.

i was thinking about having to poke mine out with something like a tent pole if anything was stuck, but the tubes were clear so dont know how well it would work. just offering suggestions.

I've been doing that for 8 months! :lol:
Cut the ends of the pipes off so I had a straight ish run through then got a couple of lengths of reinforcing rod and a bid hammer, then hammered it through.

just wondering - did you guys get your heater cables out of the conduit in the end? I am facing the same problem...and should be v grateful to know how you did it - cut or shunt? and not v.v....!!

cheers
Rob

Mine were seized absolutely solid, so in the end I removed them completely and replaced them with copper Central heating pipe. Worked well and should have no further corrosion issues.

Jon

Latest posts