Stuck in gear!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooky73

Reaction score
My 1970 is stuck in 1st gear.

I have changed all the bushes and re-assembled the linkage but the all I can do at the gearstick end is move it a little back and forth but it won't go out of gear.

I have taken off the stick and stop plate etc. to try and eliminate problems at the front but it makes no difference.

I can drive it in 1st so I assume the clutch is fine, it has had a new clutch recently as well.

Help!

Had the box removed as the selector rod is all over the place.

Is it worth getting stripped down or just get a recon box?

Matey that's your call as the cost difference between getting a recon done and buying a second hand box can be rather eye watering.
Me? I'd roll the dice on a second hand box, but I'm a cheapskate :mrgreen:

did you have the issue before you changed all the bushes or after?

This might sound stupid but when I first got mine running it did that, ended up that I had no gearbox oil and had cooked it!. :oops:

If u take the nosecone off the box you can replace the bush in the end of it and the bearing the hockey stick shaft slots in. Very easy and made world of difference to gear change on my bus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have taken the nose cone off and found this...

Can you see the bit that has snapped off?

Can this be replaced?

I'm thinking that the selector shafts should all line up but one seems to stick up more than the rest?

First time I have ever split a box so help!! :D

If your box was OK before find a good local machine shop to make a new one for you or find a scrap box some where.A lot cheaper than a new box or second hand one.
Robert

Latest posts