Subaru conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan71

Reaction score
Ok I'm going to go subaru my bus now the question is to go 2.0 turbo or 2.2 non turbo ??
So let's go!!!

let me know how you get on, cost, modifications etc as im considering it myself

Non turbo it is il put the turbo motor in my baja hopefully get better fuel economy from the 2.2 too

I had a 2.2 legacy in my splittie and it was certainly quick enough. Did well over 100mph, I'm not sure how fast it went as the needle had gone all the way round past 0 to about 20!

I just ran it on a GT beetle gearbox and it was fine with no silly burn outs or anything but I expect the turbo would require a strong gearbox upgrade

I had a Impreza STI and the power it had would be stupid in a bus.

I've got a good 6 rib box I'm hoping that will be fine for the 2.2 .
Lol I'm not sure how fast it went as the needle had gone all the way round past 0 to about 20! Brilliant

yea that would be ideal for 2.2. I sold mine to a mate and he had it on a 6 rib was sweet.

I think if you get the bellhousing from RJES you can run Subaru clutch and starter motor.

If you use adaptor plate to standard box two issues I had was the engine destroyed the standard clutch within a week. From memory I upgraded to a kennedy stage 2 clutch and that was fine but the stock starter motor always struggled to get turn it over and got really hot. My mate used a hi torque one then it was ok

1.8 subaru pickup engine goin in mine.
Nice and simple and reliable ...
Fingers crossed :D

If I was going the Scooby route I would take my bus to fellows speed shop
I have to admit it is a tempting conversion - think I would go the 2.2 route mated to a rebuilt longer geared box

StuF said:
If I was going the Scooby route I would take my bus to fellows speed shop
I have to admit it is a tempting conversion - think I would go the 2.2 route mated to a rebuilt longer geared box

+1 for me too. It's a conversation I've had with Fellows a few times now! Still resisting though as our engine's doing well. If it ever dies though....... :roll:

I was thinking the same question but can only seem to find 2.0 turbo or 2.0 NA?
Where do 2.2 engines come from?
Are they a rarer engine and more dosh?

I've just picked up a 1303 AT gearbox. Would that be adequate?

DubBGood2Me said:

2.2 (or ej22) came out of these scoobies

Impreza 95-01
Legacy 90-99,
Outback 95-96

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:

68_early_bay said:
DubBGood2Me said:

2.2 (or ej22) came out of these scoobies

Impreza 95-01
Legacy 90-99,
Outback 95-96

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:

Aah, should have done a bit more research :oops: Cheers for that ;)

I have the rjes bell housing and input shaft to run a subaru clutch with a 6rib box that is fantastic but for the cost of the parts plus a gearbox rebuild with longer gears I would look at the subarugears from Australia. You get a box capable of taking the power plus 5 gears.

I have a 2.0 from a forester which is going in my '71.

I had a chat with the guys at Fellows a while back (I used to go to school with Dave Hall many years back) and I am roughly following their conversion but dozing it myself and using an RJES bell housing. I have an aluminium radiator from an RX7 and DK 6 rib box.

I'll post pics later.

there is a video on YouTube called busaru and he uses two civic radiators placed below the original airvents. if i had the confidence / know how ( and a bit of extra cash) id have an attempt at this in a shot. sick of not being able to use my bus because of one thing or another with the air cooled option

Latest posts