Suction!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Soooooooo, i developed a strange high pitch whistle at revs over 2000 on the way back from Cornwall the other week, pulled over and didnt find anything apart from my fan belt was a touch loose, but nothing to worry about, checked everything but zip :?: so luckily we carried on for 1 mile as it was my wifes sisters house at the junction and they have a nice drive for problem solving!

Got to her house and set about getting to the bottom of the whistle while they ate cake and drank tea :roll:

Reshimmed the top pulley and gave it a quick drive and the noise was much less but not missing.

So i got back re checked everything and even tested the alternator and it was pumping out exactly what it should? Fan sounded fine, but the noise went when i ran the engine without the fan belt connected? so it must have been either fan or the alternator.

After thinking it cant be serious, we finished up and decided to drive home, took it steady and only did 50 all the way (only 30 miles) and got home without an issue apart from the weird whistle.

So in the garage the next day primed and ready for a new alternator of fan etc, and after some fiddling and reshimming of the fan housing and alternator stand stand, tested the van and all seemed fine! So i took it out for a test drive and for 5 miles no issues, then i went on a small country lane and the noise began again :evil: so drove back to Interpro and was met by a confused Jason who was on a mission to get this sorted.

We had a look at the fan belt again and then removed the shim that i had put in just to see if any difference had been made and nothing, the same? so whilst i was nosing around underneath Jase put his hand down the back of the fan housing as we heard a slight knocking noise when the alternator was turned manually and..............pulled out a 15inch piece of chewed up green braided hose ?!?!?!? :shock: odd as fuck! hand down the back again and another length (only 8" this time) piece was pulled out!!!! chewed up. Connected everything back up and it runs like a dream! My van doesn`t have any such hose on it and it wasn`t even the right dia for anything on the bus????? our only conclusion is that it must have been sucked up from the road on the journey somehow and wedged in the fan housing!

Fucking mad! so beware of excess suction peeps it can do your head in! :mrgreen: :msn4:

Had a similar issue, found a piece of kitchen wipe in the fan :shock: must have been from checking the oil.

What a ball ache to find out tho! i will always be checking me fan from now on :lol:

This is how my engine went pop last year :( when I dropped the engine I found that there was a load of plastic wrapping in the fan blocking it, must have sucked it up some how off the road on my journey, :? Since then on my new engine I put my hand and check it's clear before every journey :(

Driving back from Lille some years ago in my pals Beetle we lost power into London creeping along at 10mph back to our S.E den. Discovered the engine bay lining had collapsed and was being sucked into the fan intake effectively closing it off. Result...top end rebuild and an appreciation of fan suction pitfalls

^^

Latest posts