• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

swap my t&t'd 1999 mk4 golf gti for your turn key engine?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i am rob

Reaction score
1999, 1.8 golf. 12 months mot, 3 months tax. recaro seats, koni yellow adjustable shocks, -35mm springs, just serviced and mot'd. had new back box, mass air flow meter, pair of front wishbones, and a pair of wiper blades for mot. apparently had its ecu remapped, though i can neither confirm or deny this as i have no paperwork to prove it. it is however fairly rapid, and after driving a new beetle with the same engine that was standard i'm inclined to believe it must have been, you'll have to decide for yourself. with regards to service history its vw service book is stamped and up to date (though not full dealer stamps - mostly independents) but other than that, that's pretty much it. there is a sticker under the bonnet which indicates the cambelt was changed almost 20k ago so should be good for a while yet, mileage is almost 163k which the interior shows signs of. there is the usual wear on the door handles/ drivers seat bolster that mk4's suffer (the seat bolster isn't ripped, just the fabric looks to be worn). factory sunroof. has the usual parking dents and scratches you'd expect of a car this age/ mileage. some lacquer peel to the upper passenger side. some bits of rust creeping from stone chips around the wheel arches and at somepoint it's obviously had a few touch ups. so all in all it's showing its age now but still drives extremely well.

PRICE £1000.
PICT0223.jpg

looking to swap for preferably a turn key type IV motor with twin carbs and a decent exhaust that i could bolt straight into the back of a cross over 72 bay window, however if a decent twin carbed 1600 or similar type one popped up i may consider that too. anyone interested?