T2 Detectives Bootcamp

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crammy69

Reaction score
Had a chat with the fellas on their stand at Alive and Vdubbin and am booked on their Bootcamp this Saturday :D , means an early start and long drive but really looking forward to it, anyone been?

Yep. I attended in February and it is a full day, some very useful, particularly the sessions on ignition and electrical fault finding, and some less so, but all of it interesting. I still can't see me dropping my engine on my drive though, even if the fellas at T2D can do it in less time than it takes to finish a coffee.

For a total newby to aircooled engines like me, it was a good confidence builder. I was surprised by the mix of experience amongst those attending: most like me were new to it all, some had a bit of experience but not a lot, and a couple seemed to know it all. WTF were they there for? :roll:

It is a good day though, I'd recommend it for novices.

Coffee flows all day and the grub was good, prepared by a certain Martin Dorey before our very eyes :D .

I met them at Alive n vDubbin and I'm off to the one tomorrow too :)

I'm taking my van as I'm hoping they'll listen to the annoying "tick" the van has - I'm perplexed and so is my local garage.

I'm hoping to pick up some tips. I am comfortable whipping the engine in and out and such stuff so I hope it covers some deeper stuff too. I have a list of questions!

See you tomorrow,
Nick

@ Delilahtoo - Might be a bit basic for Nick but I dont even know what type of engine I have let alone how to do anything to it other than put petrol in and drive , so anything they say will be news to me ;-)

@ Nick - Fingers crossed I see you tommorrow ;-) , as im taking the van too ( probably should take the motorbike but lets be brave!)

Crammy69 said:
@ Delilahtoo - Might be a bit basic for Nick but I dont even know what type of engine I have let alone how to do anything to it other than put petrol in and drive , so anything they say will be news to me ;-)

It will be money and time well spent in that case. I really enjoyed my day and learned lots.

I'd be tempted in this but the price is too rich for my tastes.
Someone should set up a show that is focused on demonstrations/teaching/sharing knowledge.

Volks world show has something similar i think, get yourself along to it next year.

Supertramp said:
I swallowed hard when I saw the price too, but I did get a £25 'show' discount, so that helps a bit. My hope is that I'll learn enough to do my own routine servicing and initial fault finding that over the months(?) / Years to come should save me bundles (With workshop rates around £60 +Vat per hour I dont need to do much work to be on side..) I've had lots of old cars and scooters etc over the years and can't count how much money I've gone through on either replacing the wrong parts or simply being too ignorant to do routine stuff :roll: . :lol:

Well I'm not worried about it being too basic. There's always stuff to learn. I know that there will be stuff I have done before, but I have some questions about my van that I'd like answers to. And comparing with those that are there will help... like the amount of play in my gearbox input shaft, how much play is ok in the steering etc etc.....

You are right about workshop savings. My first replacement engine (you read right) was done by a garage at £400+ labour. The next 2 (yes) were put in by me for nothing.... I just wish I'd done this course at the start.

I got less discount than you, btw ;-)

See you tomorrow (again fingers crossed).

Nick

Supertramp said:
Someone should set up a show that is focused on demonstrations/teaching/sharing knowledge.

Techenders runs twice a year in the midlands. You just pay for camping and bring the parts you need.

It seems to be quite popular although I have still to go due to work.

This is a great idea by T2D, the do have a good video on you tube as a promotion, gives you an idea of some of the topics covered. Here's the link. Ben

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv_7mvy5Ejc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope the link works if not do a search.

Davedub said:
Supertramp said:

Techenders runs twice a year in the midlands. You just pay for camping and bring the parts you need.

It seems to be quite popular although I have still to go due to work.

I know I'd seen something like this, hopefully they have another coming up. It seems Zed and Sparkywig are involved.
Got to say though watching that video, the T2D day looks very good.

Well, just to complete the loop, I thought I'd share my experience of T2D.

The boot camp was really very good. It did start from basics but I was able to ask questions and get some useful info. Since I've installed my own engine and been doing the servicing, this side was more familiar. But for me the highlight was the electrics session. Paul has broken down the way to diagnose faults and made it all so understandable and straightforward. Great cakes too. I wish I'd gone to it when I first got my bus - it would have saved a great deal of pain in learning the hard way.

Well today, I've been back on a follow-up session - a guided healthcheck for my bus. This was awesome. It is not cheap. But I spent 3.5 hours with Alex ging through the bus from top to toe (actually back to front...). After an initial test drive, it's up on the ramp and everything is checked - I was shown what's what throughout, and I now have a list of what needs doing, and how urgently. And, just as importantly, what doesn't need doing. Alex is extremely professional and really knows his stuff.

(And no, I don't get paid for saying any of this, nor do I have any affiliation with the company)

Nick

Latest posts