Tachometer connection

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike202

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bought this lovely thing to go in my dash.
b756168fa2450ea9fb50445fbb6e60eb.jpg

In the instructions it mentions using a screened cable for the signal wire. (From the distributer) Is this necessary, as I couldn’t find anything in a search on here about their installation?

[emoji848]

Don't know about that particular tacho but I have a tacho in mine and didn't run a screened cable and it is just fine. In fact, I fitted a multicore accessory cable from the engine bay to under the fuse box in the dash when I built the van and I just pick off at each end for anything I want connected from front to back, like rear fog switch, and oil pressure and temperature signals etc. I used this for the tacho as well and have never had any problems.

Those tachos are really good 8)

I *did* use a screened cable; the same kind of stuff intended for an electric guitar, so I can't comment on performance with un-screened cable.

As you say, there is very little current flowing, which means you could use as thin a cable as you like; it only needs to be mechanically robust.
However, because there is such little current flowing, an un-screened cable will be susceptible to electrical noise interference which *could* cause the tacho to mis-read.

That would depend on how long is the wire run (it is pretty long) and how close you run it to other wires that are carrying, and importantly switching, a lot of current, or what other electric noise there is in your environment.

Anything like the windscreen wiper motor, or other nearby electrical circuits (even from other cars) *could* couple noise into the tacho without proper screening.

I used something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLD-6-3...1m-2m-3m-5m-10m/351785922954?var=620702262465; I cut off the jack plugs and soldered on the appropriate connectors, ignition-signal spade and a ground wire at the coil end and (IIRC) signal wire straight into the tacho connector at the front. With heat-shrink to keep all the joints strong, neat and insulated.

I don't know how much arse-covering there is in the manufacturer instructions.
The gauge seems reasonably well damped, so maybe any electrical noise wouldn't be noticeable at the needle anyway.

That’s great info thanks. I can see what you’re saying about possible interference.
That’s one vote for and one for not anyone else got a tachometer and want to say what wiring you used. [emoji6][emoji851]

Latest posts