THE Flat Eric Bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammac

Reaction score
Heres my 1971 westfalia from califonia. Ive owned her since 2009 and the time has come to fix it up and make it look pretty over the winter.

I havent done much other than lower on adjusters and 2 splines initially then dropped spindles and adjustable springplates.

I plan on a complete stripdown and repaint carrying out any repairs on the way.

afew old pics on my laptop ill upload some more shortly

J :D

jamiesphonepics314.jpg

untitle1111.jpg

jamiesphonepics110.jpg

jamiesphonepics225.jpg

Sounds good - look forward to progress! Btw, love that colour, are you sure you don't want to run it patina style or do you have plans?

thanks for the comments, ive read alot of build/ restoration threads on here and i think its great how everyone is so helpful with advice and positive comments to boost morale on a long haul project!

My bus used to be pearl white and was sprayed yellow at some point in its previous life in califonia. I do like it as its been nicely kissed by the sun, so has a really kool faded look. ive worked on a couple of dents and never got a paint match anywhere near it. Im not keeping it the same colour as its not a very good job as none of the seals were removed + theres a heap of filler in the front and theres a couple of areas that need sorting out. Ive driven it "patina" style since i bought the bus but now ive got the garage space im ready to take on a bigger project. Me and Mrs have been discussing colours, im pretty set on a classic VW colour and we are leaning towards brilliant blue at the moment.........but i change my mind daily!

Im stripping down all the parts at the mo 1hr here and there. ive got the dash out.. all the wires scare the shit out of me! im sure nothing will work when it goes back together!!!!

im unsure whether to go bare metal or just down to the original paint? bare metal will probably be easier as i can just attack it and not have to be so delicate. advice needed here i guess. With pros and cons of each

Can someone please come & do all the DIY around the house so I can work on my bus. Mrs seems to think the house is the priority!!

A little update on this today
4y3a3a8e.jpg

Moved from here.....
ymu5eze6.jpg

.....to here

Just so I can access the roof to insulate it. My poor bus isn't gonna see the road this year. Wish I never started stripping it out now :(

Have faith mate and roll your sleeves up......................it WILL be worth it.............BTW I like the colour 8)

Oh and tell the Mrs to do the DIY! You got a bus to sort! geese........Women!!! :roll:

Ive started tinkering and with some inspiration from speedwell on here I collect all the bits for a budget weber 34ich - ict conversion which is basically done apart from the actual fit. All used parts saved a fortune hopefully it won't explode when bought to life!
ge5ema3y.jpg

Plans are changing again. I'm just gonna get the bus back on the road for the summer and enjoy it whilst the kids are small.

Latest posts