The Sums just don't add up

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garytype2

Reaction score
The sums just dont add up!
Why so many 'project' vans for sale?

There are so many vans for sale on different platforms that you just didn't see available only a few years ago.
It could be the cost of living to blame and owners just can't see themselves ever being in the position to finish/finance a big project
Or is it just the cost of welding/ spraying?
Or more likely the cost of new parts!
During the pandemic shipping costs went sky high and exchange rates plummeted so it was obvious that these costs were to be passed on to buyers but unless things change now costs have to come down these vans will just keep changing hands but never get finished. (More likely scrapped)!!
I am not aiming this just at JK but all suppliers are on a dangerous road in my opinion with a H4 Headlight @ £138 or underseat mats @ £149! for example
You can't sell parts for vans that no-one can afford to restore or no longer exists
I would have been one of the first to show interest in a project advertised for well under £2k but now the sums just don't add up to finish or even on sympathetic restorations
Sad times for the Volkswagen T2

On a positive note it is a great time to buy a van already on the road as prices are definitely on the side of the buyer at present

These things go in cycles. Van prices will come down (as will all asset prices). But their numbers will reduce due to the issues you mention. Second hand parts will be become more available as more buses are scrapped. Eventually the T2a/b will be as rare and expensive as the Splitty.

I know what you mean. I think alot of folks love to own one because they are an iconic vehicle and always will be and think yeah lets get one especially this time of year when in reality if they do buy one its just too much for them if things go wrong and dont have the patience, know how etc. i mean my bus took 6 years to do and she's not finished to me., They see the dream not the reality and then they are back for sale. When the reality dont meet their rose tinted expectations. Yes the cost of living dont help in the slightest and parts are so much more expensive these days but unless like me you live to a very strict budget each month its just too much 😕.

I guess the idea is to buy one and do it up over a period of time. Seeking out second hand bits and spreading the cost makes is an affordable concept.
There are a bunch of people around though they will hand it over to one of the resto places and not bat an eyelid at the cost though ...

Doing it over a long time and getting bits when you see at auto jumble is only way to do it. And doing work your self. I have spoken to people that have spent 15-17k for resto companies to finish vans that are ‘mot’. They look amazing, if the van had been on your family since new that’s different. The resto companies are not ripping people off by any means, we have a project Trekker, currently 100 hours in and it’s not solid. Even if they charge min wage that’s over a grand in labour.

Latest posts