Things to do in Gloucester?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottom rung

Reaction score
I'm deserting Shetland in a month to spend April, May and June in Gloucester while I am on a course. I can't get back home at weekends cos of the distance involved, so I will be looking for things to do or see while I am there (earlybay related of course!). My dormy is still a long way from being finished, so I have to come down in my daily driver subaru. Are there any meets etc on in the area during those dates? Ta! :D

you can allways come up to malvern ,theres fec all to do here but its pretty,and 4 ebers about,shure only seen 1 on here in glos :shock: :lol:

we have a meet in ross on wye once a month down by river at a pub only 25 mins from glous ill let you know when it starts come along you will love it

We have a monthly meet and you can pop up the workshop :) The other thing is that you will be amongst a lot of shows around that time compared to Shetland :D

Gloucester itself has little to offer over any other city

67panel said:
you can allways come up to malvern ,theres fec all to do here but its pretty,and 4 ebers about,shure only seen 1 on here in glos :shock: :lol:

theres a meet near worcester at the nightingale pub, its mainly watercooled but more and more airheads are turning up each month (well when its a bit warmer).
think is first monday of every month but will check as i havnt been since last september.

Pop down to Cheltenham and have a bit of fun with some of the GCHQ girls ;) there mad as a box of frogs and fun with it....

It's well worth visiting the Forest of Dean. Loads of stuff to do there. Hire a canoe at Symonds Yat and have a paddle down the Wye, hire a bike and make use of the miles of cycle tracks and if you want to camp check out Bracelands camp site near Symonds Yat.

:mrgreen: I thought I should try and contribute more sensibly ...

Gloucester Quays - worth a wander if youre into maritime history etc. There is now a designer outlet complex there, which is some outlets that arent all that 'designer'.

The Guild Hall - a groovy venue that has an independant cinema and hosts a number of gigs and comedy nights etc.

As mentioned, The Forest of Dean is great for all things 'outdoors' - walking, MTB, caving, canoeing etc. The Cotswold Way and Stroud Valleys also offer good walking/cycling opportunities.

The Cotswolds are on the doorstep and are popular with tourists for looking around quaintness ...

Through April, May and June (off the top of my head) you have the Tregedar House VW show (100 miles), Big Bang (85 miles), Stanford Hall (110 miles), Vanwest (80 miles), Dubs at the Park (100 miles), Stonor Park (85 miles) and Bristol VF (40 miles) so enough shows close enough to get a few in. :)

Well it looks like my weekends could be busy! I'll be bringing my mountain bike stuff and geetar. Shame my camper won't be fit, but it looks like I'll have plenty of opportunities to get a few essential bits from the shows. :D

dont forget to come via malvern and have a butchers at that interior ;) i will be up for a bit of a biking session?malvern hills or the forest of dean?come and have a look around work aswell .... http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

71dormy said:
dont forget to come via malvern and have a butchers at that interior ;) i will be up for a bit of a biking session?malvern hills or the forest of dean?come and have a look around work aswell .... http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dude, Whats the car in the banner at the very top of the morgan home page? havent seen one of those down the gaurlford strait! I like!

haha aero supersport dude quite nippy :lol: yeh thats the car were focusing on at the mo aswell as the tradtional's ...iam the lucky one who gets to work on the supersports ,did 2 for geneva this weekend :) ...love it

71dormy said:
haha aero supersport dude quite nippy :lol: yeh thats the car were focusing on at the mo aswell as the tradtional's ...iam the lucky one who gets to work on the supersports ,did 2 for geneva this weekend :) ...love it
The back looks much better, does it havethe split rear window?

no its just a small long rear window but has got a targa top.do look sweet in the flesh 8)

Bummer.... my course got cancelled. My sojourn to Gloucester has been postponed :cry: . Still, gives me a few weeks to crack on with my dormy and hopefully get it sorted by the summer. Thanks for all the info any guys.

Woohoo! The course looks like it is back on, starting July 5th. My plan is to fly down and buy a daily driver while I am there to use for the three month course, before driving it up to Aberdeen and then ferrying it home to Shetland. So I am looking for a decent daily driver aircooled beetle, reliable(ish) and MOT'd, for about a couple of grand. Is there anything out there? Also, when I used to live in Gloucester a few years back, I used to get parts from Birdlip Garage (who had loads of VWs parked up there) and Volksbits on Bristol Road. Are these places still running? Ta!

Volksbits has been gone a while now, not sure about Birdlip Gararge. Shame your'e not down a couple of days earlier as there's BVF at Malvern Showground on the 3rd and 4th, not been before so dunno if it's any good but may pop along.
Chhers Seb.

Latest posts