Timing - 30 deg BTC?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davla

Reaction score
According to the Haynes manual my timing should be set to 5 deg ATC but there's no way my engine will run set to this. If I set it to around 5 deg BTC then it ticks over ok but coughs and splutters on pull away. If I set it by ear and trial and error, I can get the van to pull away fine and the drives really well but when i strobe it, it shows that it's running at 30 deg BTC. This can't be right? I can't work out why it's so far out. Help appreciated please....

Standard 1600, new Accuspark vacuum distributor & coil, standard oil bath filter (no cable attached to flap so only taking in air from engine compartment), new plugs & HT leads, PICT34 stripped, cleaned & rebuilt.

The engine will run more quickly on idle at 30 deg BTDC than the correct 7.5deg BTDC.

I did similar when first adjusting the timing on my bug - the difficulty is that running at 30 deg BTDC at idle will end up with the engine overheating, risking burning out the valves.

It reads like you may have not had the engine running since rebuilding the carb? If so, get it at about 7.5 at idle and then sort out the carb adjustments, before going back and re-checking the timing when it's able to idle properly.

Yeah I’ve had it running but it’s spluttering when pulling away, which is doing my head in, it improves slightly when warm but still annoying. I’ll go back to 7.5 and start again.

Good explanation here...

http://www.vw-resource.com/timing_discussion.html....

This bit....
Rob responded -

With a 009 distributor the correct setting is 28-32 degrees total advance at 3000+rpm. That usually comes to about 7.5 degrees BTDC

So I set the timing to 7.5 BTC using a timing light (with vacuum pipe off) and reset the carb screws (PICT34) to 2.5 turns out on each and it ran fine, after a few miles I had to screw in the bypass screw a bit to slow down tick over but it's not pulling away too bad tbh. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the advice

Latest posts