Tinware Restoration

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedude

Reaction score
Hi Guys, can anyone tell me what i can paint my tinware with, that can also come in a decent colour. Will powdercoating be ok with the heat. Want to paint all the tin and air filter same colour as van.

cheers :D

Color matching your Bus with the tin work powdercoating is going to be really expensive. Powder coating alone is in basic colors. You're better off being frugal on the engine tin, like matching the original German color which is kind of like a low gloss black. Semi gloss is too shiny IMO. Strip all of you engine tinwork down and rust coat it with Por 15 or something similar. "Klean-Strip" Rust Converter comes in 8 fl oz. bottles, enough to do all of your engine tin, fan shroud inclusive. "Dries to a hard, sandable paintable primer." Use Duplicolor 500 degree rattle can Low Gloss Black, and you're done. I used this recipe on my Beetle and my Bus engine. Very happy with the savings in $ and the end results regarding final finish and stand-up to engine heat.

Latest posts