To sell or not to sell..................

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkish

Reaction score
Been toying with this for a while

When we got the bus the midlands scene was massive and had a great bunch but slowly this has faded and now we have the nipper (16 months) I don't seem to have the time.

I hope this will change as she gets older but still aren’t convinced I should keep my Westy.

Missed the Breeze for the second year now and really depressed, what should I do??

Can't afford to splash the sort of cash I have had to in the past going forward and worried it will deteriorate.

WHat to do???????

Best thing to do is sell it to someone who's looking for a westy

Oh me :shock:

I understand that having kids takes so much time but if u have the facility to store it away till u have more time on your hands?
U may regret selling it ?

Yeah that's what I'm scared of, my long term intention is to give is to my daughter for her 18th

Yes kids do take up so much time ... our little boy is four tomorrow ... we bought the bus when he was six months old and its been great for picnics and trips away :D . This Thursday we are doing another boys (him & me) camping trip in the bus, one night away and just down the round but its an adventure ... he loves it. Perhaps it's easier with a son than daughter, I don't know :?:

I think from what you say if the scene is why you own it and that's not working for you anymore then yes it's time to sell ... if it can become part of the family experience then keep it.

It's good to think out loud, and I suspect most of us will go through similar dilemmas at one point or another.

But ultimately only you know, deep down, what you really want to do...sell or keep? Just go with what you want to do, as what we think is of no consequence in the great scheme of things.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out. :D

K

I had similar decision earlier this year, i had a 65 splitscreen camper also an t4 autosleeper camper i did not use the splity for 2 years because we had out grown it and i was worried about the kids wrecking the original interior etc, so i sold it as was alot of money sitting there,so now i have a t4 and a bay for when me and the wife want to go away without the kids,If you need the money sell if not the kids do enjoy them,we have 3 kids and it got hard in splitty so went for a t4 as i didnt want to give up camping with them,good luck with it all

Thanks guys some food for thought!

Don't want it to go as if it does I'll never get another. It will be great once the nipper is a bit older. Think I just need to stick it out and see if we use it next year.

Just got to keep on top of things on it

Had the bus before we had kids and they grew up with it. They both loved going away in it be it for a holiday, weekend or just an outing with picnic.

Never been into scenes or clubs, just used it and enjoyed the freedom.

Trikky2 said:
Had the bus before we had kids and they grew up with it. They both loved going away in it be it for a holiday, weekend or just an outing with picnic.

Never been into scenes or clubs, just used it and enjoyed the freedom.

I think that's what we have to do now, we are almost at the stage of not having to sterilise so that should make things easier. Just got to wait for a bit warmer weather then i am sure we will be back loving it (and may pop to a show or two)

Unless you really need the money keep it.

You know the bus for all it's good and bad points. If you buy another in the future it might be better, it might be worse but it won't be the same bus.

Find a way of combining the kids needs with using the bus. When holidaying, I'd rather take all the stuff you need camping than on a plane anyday. Camping (in all it's forms) is a fantastic past time. Some of my best childhood memories are of camping experiences and I'm trying to do the same with our son. Kids don't get enough freedom these days but they can get that in a, generally, safe environment at a rally or campsite. I love seeing my son run off with other kids at the rallys and making new friends. Don't look at the bus as just an object but a route to experiences.
We use the bus and combine it with other hobbies like cycling, going to NT properties, dog walking, kayaking, seeing friends and relatives who don't have room to put us up.

A wise man once said, "remember the small things because one day they will be the big things". His brother said "you generally regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did".

Keep it dude

Sydney1 said:
Unless you really need the money keep it.

You know the bus for all it's good and bad points. If you buy another in the future it might be better, it might be worse but it won't be the same bus.

Find a way of combining the kids needs with using the bus. When holidaying, I'd rather take all the stuff you need camping than on a plane anyday. Camping (in all it's forms) is a fantastic past time. Some of my best childhood memories are of camping experiences and I'm trying to do the same with our son. Kids don't get enough freedom these days but they can get that in a, generally, safe environment at a rally or campsite. I love seeing my son run off with other kids at the rallys and making new friends. Don't look at the bus as just an object but a route to experiences.
We use the bus and combine it with other hobbies like cycling, going to NT properties, dog walking, kayaking, seeing friends and relatives who don't have room to put us up.

A wise man once said, "remember the small things because one day they will be the big things". His brother said "you generally regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did".

Keep it dude

Yes, exactly!

Don't get rid of it, trust me it won't be long and the kids will start doing there own thing. They will leave the nest then what, you and the other half can go off and have a well earned break. If you are lucky the kids might get there own and tag along. Thats the position i'm in now. If I had only kept some of the cars I've had in the past.

we had the same feeling, but as above time fly's and its fab to see my 8year old boy looking up at the roof rack waiting for his bike to come off first so he can go mix with the other kids. fab feeling, but sad too as we are just in the way now!! :lol: ... good times. the journey there and home its all part of it .hold on and keep it.

69billy said:
we had the same feeling, but as above time fly's and its fab to see my 8year old boy looking up at the roof rack waiting for his bike to come off first so he can go mix with the other kids. fab feeling, but sad too as we are just in the way now!! :lol: ... good times. the journey there and home its all part of it .hold on and keep it.

Funny you should mention that, i bought a Raleigh Burner for me a couple of years back so have now got my daughter a mini burner that i am tarting up for her to ride so yeah i can understand that

we took nipper #1 away in the van when he was 7 weeks old, following summer we did 3 weeks in france, next a week in devon and a week in new forest. the next year when missus was expecting nipper #2, nipper #1 and I went away most weekends and now #2 is 2 we went away as often as we could!

there's no way I could get rid of it even if the bus is getting shabbier around the edges with every use. the kids love it, and we create our own scene everyt ime we go away in it!

keep it, enjoy it, let it get a bit shabby and then tell your daughter she only gets it when shes 18 if she spends every Saturday from age 14 to 18 working to fund the bare metal resto

Ive had my bay for 13 years (and had a split before that). I will never be without the bus (first got her as I needed somewhere to live)...and the kids agree with me...they all love it. Especially my young son (8), he just wants to be out in it at the beach all the time!! And for trips away with my step daighter (20) I am in the process of building a small period style caravan to tow behind! Never been into any scene much really...just into wild camping! :D

KEEP IT IF YOU CAN! :D

I've been toying with selling mine lately too, only because it will need welding and spraying sometime and I won't have time for the next two years at least but having got it running tonight for the first time in 3 months I'm definitely keeping it !
We have so many memories with it over the last 6 years and were all so attached to it that if it fails the mot ill just garage it till I have time to work on it. Makes me happy just sitting in it :mrgreen:
If you're not desperate for money, then keep it in a garage, run it regularly and it will keep in fairly good nick,( mine has ) and won't lose any value either.
My daughters 4 now and I haven't been to a vw show in about 3 years, we miss Santa pod etc but will try her there next year as its getting easier to take her places now, so I sympathise with you there.
Having massively regretted selling my last bus, (and still do!) the only time you should sell is when you really need the cash. Or another bus :lol:
Dave

Having kids is a good reason to KEEP the bus dude, I bought my first bay 3 years ago, just 1 month before the arrival of my first daughter... 13 months later daughter number 2 came along.. My first loved camping in the Westy, the 2nd daughter has only been in a tent so far because I changed my Westy for a tin top last year which I've been working on ( just 1 evening per week and alternate Friday afternoons).. Both girls adore my bus and can't wait to go out in it once I've got it ready for MOT and registration.

Look, camping and shows will be different to how they were with just you and the Mrs, but they're no less fun!

Just my 10p worth..

Latest posts