Tools for electrical work

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

Reaction score
Hi all
Being non-technical I guess I've got to start somewhere!!

I'm trying to fit new rear lights and the one of the spade connectors is a different size so I need to fit a new one to each side.

What tools do I need? (Any recommendations?) Do I just need a basic crimping tool as Halfrauds sell?

I've also got to wire in a radio at some point so it's probably worth doing things properly!!

Thanks

Hi a basic crimping tool from Halfords will be ok but not brilliant. The ratchet type crimping tools are the best but are around £40-£60 to buy, i've got one of these and it has paid for itself over the years, the wires tend not to pull out of the crimps so easlily with this type too.

As for fitting car stereos you can use the barrel type through crimps to connect the speaker wires etc, but it might be better to buy a strip of the 5amp screw type connector blocks often used for home interior lighting. These have the advantage of keeping all your connections in a nice neat line and you can simply connect and disconnect the wires with a terminal screwdriver rather than having to cut off the crimps and end up with shorter wires should you need to remove the stereo at a later date.

Always ensure the stereo has a suitable fuse fitted to prevent frazzling that all important wiring loom ;)

Latest posts