Totally broke this thread, please delete

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started on the front panel. Leaving the bigger dints in but filling the holes/sanding marks

DSC_0981_zpsaxxmmpz0.jpg

Then sanded

DSC_0986_zps1gc6m0qc.jpg

and primed again :roll:

DSC_0990_zpsbkffggmd.jpg

Leaving the bottom dints is as I like them :)

Drivers side step to sort, then roof!

DSC_1007_zpsyur6m5yr.jpg

Sanded the front and roof, fixed rust on roof. Ready for topcoat now! Paint ordered

Flatted the roof but not bothering to prime it. Don't need to with the paint type

Don't need to do the inside yet as just roller painting the inside.

Maybe paint in a couple of weeks. Waiting till some good weather.

Well day of reckoning, sunny and not to much wind so cracked on,

Blue bus :D

IMG_20150806_150141_zpsbrbgwlmo.jpg

DSC_1113_zpsaw2gniur.jpg

DSC_1117_zpsgtolllz1.jpg

Few runs to sand out, only first coat though, gonna try for a second on Saturday then final coat whenever. Then wait for it to harden before sanding polishing! The orange peel isn't really bad so not gonna bother sanding between coats.

So initial thoughts about spraying rustoleum, firstly yes its not a car paint and eventually it'll fade, but it'll be under cover (uv proof) when not in use so no bothered.

Give up using celly paint at an early stage as it reacts with everything, 2pack I don't know enough about, costs a lot and my prep isn't good enough to make the results worth while (daily family fun bus, not pristine so not too bothered).

The rustoleum levels quite well, and very little overspray which is great for a drive spray job. Thinned it 20% using their own thinner (glorified white spirit). The lighter runs levelled out quite well. Touch dry in a couple of hours (luckily very little flys to pick off) Been baking in the sun for nearly a day and is quite hard now.

Well let the paint bake in the sun for 48hours before the second coat.

Second coat went on ok

DSC_1144_zpsbymjqh1k.jpg

DSC_1141_zpsrpv2ffaz.jpg

Due to work etc final coat will have to wait till next weekend weather dependant. Gonna redo the doors and fix the last door in the mean time.

Cheers. It can be a pain working outside sometimes but it's only the bodywork that's a sod, mechanics are ok outdoors to sort

Final 3rd coat on today

Few runs to polish out when its fully hardened but otherwise happy with it
(I am an amateur and its been painted in a front drive remember :p )
DSC_1171_zpstsqttiei.jpg

Now to recoat the doors and sliding door

Wanna paint the dash top before I put the windows back in once paint is hard enough

Well sanded and reprimed the sliding door again :roll: , already painted it in celly so had to stabilise it to repaint with rustoleum

DSC_1220_zpss3pex7ih.jpg

Happy as well as found two westy windows! One off ebay and one off Steve at restore and more. One needs minor repair, but I'm stripping them both down, polishing the aluminium and replacing the seals anyway.

DSC_1222_zpsnit0wymi.jpg

Nice finish on your paint looks great for outside spray job? Or did you roller it?. :party0049: :party0049: I'm going to be doing that in the future do you have a picture of the rustoleum paint used?. looks a good match for Neptune blue, did you buy it on line? If so where from?. Thanks Del

Great job!

I've sprayed a couple outside and it's hard to pick the right weather window.

Did you go round and warn the neighbours to pull their washing in off the lines.

Caboose said:
Nice finish on your paint looks great for outside spray job? Or did you roller it?. :party0049: :party0049: I'm going to be doing that in the future do you have a picture of the rustoleum paint used?. looks a good match for Neptune blue, did you buy it on line? If so where from?. Thanks Del

Sprayed it, Sprays quite well and very little overspray so neighbour friendly. I was gonna roller it, but with all the coats you have to do and sanding, I already had the spray gear so thought makes sense just to spray.

3 spray coats is plenty and you just wait 48 hours between coats, then give it a month before polishing, colour sanding it. Haven't painted the two cab doors yet but so far I've used about 3 litres painting the van itself and sliding door.

Got it from avenue paints online, they can mix it to most colours. Called rustoleum combi colour.

IMG_20150708_181042_zpsvonajh9t.jpg

snow_pikey said:
Great job!

I've sprayed a couple outside and it's hard to pick the right weather window.

Did you go round and warn the neighbours to pull their washing in off the lines.

Yep your right, picked a week when I knew there was little wind and at least a fEw good days. Wanted he main bus painted before it starts to get too cold again.

Well got the sliding door finished

IMG_20150825_220227_zpspftc21dc.jpg

And gave the engine panel a coat too

DSC_1262_zpspied4zzj.jpg

Decided to take a break from painting this week, only got the two doors left to do so will start them next week.

stuck some new vinyl on the inside to replace the worst. The headlining is worth saving so im painting the lot anyway (same as I did with puck) so colour match doesn't matter

DSC_1284_zpsi9utvrnn.jpg

Decided to tackle the last of the welding, just the right side wheel well, couldn't find my dremel so bit ham fisted with the angle grinder :roll:

DSC_1285_zpsnhjka94j.jpg

Welded and started to clean up

DSC_1313_zpscbpxipfu.jpg

And bit primer

DSC_1315_zpsnctvpqzt.jpg

and that's the welding finished FINALLY!!
welder.gif

You're storming through this! Can I borrow some of that motivation you've got?! haha

Looks great, love that colour and spraying the rustoleum looks a mint idea for home painting on a budget.

georgeyv said:
You're storming through this! Can I borrow some of that motivation you've got?! haha

Looks great, love that colour and spraying the rustoleum looks a mint idea for home painting on a budget.

That's exactly what it is, great for a presentable paint job that's easy and will last about 5-6 year if cared for.

If you want a showroom finish, use 2 pack. That's why most people bad mouth it, they expect show winning results from a paint which isn't designed for cars.

If you want a presentable finish that you could change in 5 year just by flatting down and masking then it's for you!

Well no work this weekend,

But... Been to Bradford today (God what a horrible place to drive round) to pickup this bargain

f051b8f58732f327472c3408c51c6559_zpsd3omizck.jpg

(The roof not the van lol)

DSC_1354_zpsapojyarp.jpg

DSC_1352_zpsdlafmqgk.jpg

Was on eBay a few weeks ago so offered a fair price and they accepted.

The guy has repaired it, painted, all the bolts etc are stainless and even powder coated the lifting mechanism. I just need to paint it white and get a new fabric for it. They changed their minds and went down the paris sunroof route instead.

I wanted a small pop top, love dormobiles but look a bit weird when there lowered, and I didn't want an upside down boat on the roof like Viking, westy etc. :D

That looks great! Bradford is a total nightmare for driving round - I live down the road and have to go in for work often and still can't get my head round it!

Latest posts