Tow Bar fitment with non standard exhaust

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben smith

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a 1972 crossover bay and it's fitted with one of the quiet pack stainless exhaust and manifolds.

Does anyone know of a suitable tow bar (ideally with removable tow ball) that will fit?

JK told me they don't stock one and standard exhaust needs to be fitted.

Pictures would be fab if you have some.

Many thanks
Ben

I have the same problem! JK quiet performance stainless exhaust, and not sure who to go to for a tow bar...

I will be in the same boat soon. I think it will be a case of modifying the tow bar around the exhaust system.

Wby don’t you guys try to just make one. You’ll need two plates of steel that can be fitted to your chassis legs and some serious bolts and a thick bar with a flat plate welded to it. Make the three pieces out of cardboard then get a welder to make it If it appears do able . With all the slightly different variations of models of vans, and all the variations of motors, and all the other variations that have crept in over the years like suspension sag, lowering, raising, stock exhausts, performance exhausts , stainless exhausts. I’d say it’s near impossible to have one or two or three styles of tow bars that’ll fit anything. If you can make one in cardboard, a tidy welder can make it in steel. If on the other hand, you ‘ can’t ‘make one in cardboard , then the same probably applies. Don’t fit a tow hitch to your bumper bar cus it’s not big and it’s not clever, and I think most of us have seen it done somewhere.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, then you’ll know for sure if it’s do able :)

I have a original Westfalia towbar on mine, and its fitted with a Bluebird Stainless quietpack which I think is the same as a JK one. Mines early, not crossover, and I regret that finding a crossover Westy towbar will be a stretch ....

I do actually have a spare early tow bar system here that I would sell if you want it to modify

@ozziedog that’s great advice! I’d been considering borrowing a £150k metrology-grade laser scanner from work and creating a towbar in CAD, but the cardboard plan is just as good :)

@ozziedog that’s great advice! I’d been considering borrowing a £150k metrology-grade laser scanner from work and creating a towbar in CAD, but the cardboard plan is just as good :)
The cardboard thing is instantly visible whereas getting a laptop tight against your zooorrrst might be an issue. BUT,,,,,,, I really like your plan as a secondary thingy. If you make one in cardboard, including a cardboard tube and a dummy flange ready to fit a tow ball and plate . Tape it all together with masking tape or whatever, then you could easily make a cad actual drawing so that others with your set up could copy. They could also then make a cardboard version if their set up was slightly different and modify to give a decent model and or drawing to any engineering place to make.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, This time next week Rodney,,,, :cool:

Latest posts