TP manifold question and am I missing tin ware?? *Photos*

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chenzo

Reaction score
I've got a new SVDA dizzy to fit to replace the 009 and was looking for the place to attach the vacuum hose when I noticed that there are two pipe outlets on my manifold, just below the carb, which the PO has blanked off. I haven't got a clue what they are for or where they should be attached to and can't see them on any pictures in the manuals i have.

Anyone help?????

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

Also whilst i was replacing the bottom pulley i replaced the tinware behind it and discovered that the tin/baffle at the back of the left hand cylinders was missing - now fitted in photos, but should there also be a similar piece at the back of the right hand cylinders?

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

cheers

Vince

Hi Vince
Your SVDA should take its vac signal from a pipe on the lhs of the PICT 34 just above the idle/mixture screws. You may find the pipe is either blanked off or just missing. The signal from the manifold pipe would be wrong for this dizzy.

Yes - there should be a small piece of tinware at the rear of the RHS cylinder. I don't have a spare one but try Megabug or Volksheaven for a s/h part. It's not critical but helps cool this cylinder.
HTH

Thanks, so what do the ports on the manifold do? where do they go ?

I assume that I just blank them off with the motor i have?

I thought it wouldn't be quite right without that piece of tin - thanks for confirming

anyone got a photo of the right hand lower rear tin that's missing so that I know what I'm looking for please?

Manifold take-off is for servo-assisted brakes I think. Don't know why you'd have two though. Block them off if you don't have a servo.

Froggy beat me to it!

shouldn't my x-over have a servo?

or was i just hopefull!!

as I've got the manifold for a servo is it a straight forward job to fit one if not?

how about a 944 conversion on the front end?

Hi,

And before anyone says, may i suggest move the fuel filter, way to close to sparks and hot engine.......underneath at the tank end is good, less chance of leaks when inside, and plastic gets brittle with heat.....

Cheers,

Alistair

Yep, on the list of things to sort! :lol:

I guess i have to take the engine out to move it in to the tank bay though?

anyone have any pics of where theirs is?

chenzo said:
Yep, on the list of things to sort! :lol:

I guess i have to take the engine out to move it in to the tank bay though?

anyone have any pics of where theirs is?
No need to remove the engine, you just need some new pipe and next to nothing in the tank.
Renew the pipe from the pump to the carb, under the back of the engine look to see where the fuel pipe comes out of the bottom of the tank and into the metal pipe above the rear wheel. Renew this pipe and put the filter in-line somewhere on here.
About 15 mins tops

For the 2 vacuum ports on the manifold one should go to the servo (if you have one) as previously mentioned and the other would go to your air filter if you have one with a vacuum operated flap.

67westy said:
For the 2 vacuum ports on the manifold one should go to the servo (if you have one) as previously mentioned and the other would go to your air filter if you have one with a vacuum operated flap.

The small pipe doesn't go directly to your air filter flap, but goes to the left pipe on the thermostatic valve on top of the filter (if you have the European air filter). There is normally a pipe on the carb base that does this but your carb doesn't seem to have one. The right pipe on the thermo valve is connected to the flap tube with some thin vac pipe.

Please buy some proper 5.5mm fuel tubing from Volksbolts - that externally braided stuff in your pics is total rubbish and should not be sold by any reputable merchant. It will be rotted by the ethanol in modern fuels and will crack inside the braid where you can't see it. Best way I know to torch your cherished van.

Latest posts