Turtle - 1968 Californian Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd

Reaction score
This is my new bus - thanks to Graham and Gadget at Midland Early Bay.

Here is how she started:
turtle1.jpg
turtle2.jpg

Then new wheels (Enkei's) and lowered (Type 2 adjusters on the front, Creative spring plates on the rear and Creative adjustable shocks all round):
turtle5.jpg
turtle6.jpg

And off for a weekend away:
turtle10.jpg
turtle9.jpg

Try and get as much use this summer as possible, need to seal the underside from the great British damp, debating about a paint job next year since I do like the tatty lived in look - wife needs to be convinced otherwise. Beyond that I need to learn to get in the correct side at car parks and petrol stations.

Dude thats really nice , Stance is good and a nice choice of wheel too buddy different but nice 8)

Well done to Midland EB for sorting a tidy bus :D

Very nice - just a shame I had to see it every morning when exiting my tent over the bank holiday :D - was looking good and loving the work so far - has certainly put fuel into my search for a bus!

I say paint it but then I've always liked shiny over ratty ;)

Had a walk round this bus with Grahame when i was midlands early bay, very nice looks good lower... i must say pre lowering stick it was the tallest bay i've seen. Good wheel choice too:)

faux said:
Now that looks sweet, I wouldn't be worrying about the paint at the moment, just enjoy.

I like the REG too!

Not sure what happened with the reg, Graham sorted it all out but they went for a non age plate and I checked the dvla and they have it as year of manufacture, 1967. Not that I am complaining :) Tin plates are in the post...

mattd said:
faux said:
Now that looks sweet, I wouldn't be worrying about the paint at the moment, just enjoy.

I like the REG too!

Not sure what happened with the reg, Graham sorted it all out but they went for a non age plate and I checked the dvla and they have it as year of manufacture, 1967. Not that I am complaining :) Tin plates are in the post...

That really is a stroke of luck....just adds to its charm.

Jon

mattd said:
debating about a paint job next year since I do like the tatty lived in look - wife needs to be convinced otherwise.

Sounds familiar :? :mrgreen:

Very cool van nevertheless and indeed the wheels and a bit of lowering sure improve the looks of it! 8)

Been busy over the winter and start of Summer...

after a little breakdown on the way back from holiday...
turtle0911.jpg
turtle0912.jpg

I replaced most of the engines fueling from pump to hoses and moved the filter out the engine bay and under the van. Followed up with a carb rebuild.

Went away again...
turtle092.jpg
turtle091.jpg

and decided it was time to go and start an interior fitout and get get under the floor to see what was rusting and what was not. Old interior went on eBay in next to no time to a good home for a bargain price.
turtle102.jpg
turtle103.jpg

Fixed the minor gremlins with various chemicals and some welding from Beetlelink.
turtle104.jpg
turtle105.jpg

Added some insulation, seems to be a bit of a debate on how and how not to do this, my take is that so long as you seal to the metal and create the area that condensation forms anywhere other than the metalwork you should be fine. I do not think that you can do much to stop condensation and you will rot the van from the inside out unless you just get the inside temperature the same as the outside one and have enough ventalation to stop your breathing moisture from hanging around in the van... or in other words have holes everywhere...
turtle106.jpg
turtle107.jpg

Out with the old dash and painted up a metal one and put the stuff back in.
turtle1011.jpg
turtle1012.jpg

Next was a new floor from Madmatz and a bed from Bluebird
turtle108.jpg
turtle109.jpg

...a new bed from Bluebird Type2
turtle1010.jpg

and finally for this installment the seating from Newton Commercial...
turtle1013.jpg
turtle1015.jpg

I have the units being made at the moment, but sadly not in time for this Summer so will have to be a winter project to finish off. I have also finished wiring in a leisure battery, mains hookup, CTEK charger and split charge diode (which is waiting on my alternator before I connect it up).

Latest posts