two questions one heat exchanger one petrol smell

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downsouth

Reaction score
I have attached a snap of our gene berg 1776 twin carb engine. It should be there now.

Can anyone help with the following :-

1) Where are the heat exchangers? I think our engine may not have them, cali import.
2) The is a strong smell of petrol in the engine compartment and I have arrowed where it sems to be sitting/leaking. Is this bad or am I worrying unduly?

Help appreciated fellow early bayers.
dekw87.jpg

heat exchanger sits under cylinder head ,if you have J tubes insted they will be small round pipes heat exchangers are large with pipes coming off.
smell of petrol could be leak ,DANGERUS :!: ,fire risk but could be split fuel tank breathers,check for wet fuel on pipes etc ,import i would fit new hoses anyway.new bit as i see you got pic up :eek: check no fuel in oil incase diaphram leaking in fuel pump ,pattern pumps can leak were crimped together dont like fuel feeed to carbs run behind fanshroud.

thanks. will have a good look around to see where petrol is coming from. quite a strong smell and don't want to to go up in a puff of smoke. Will have a look round for j tubes/heat exchangers.

sussed where the heat exchangers should be. I need to be looking underneath the little valance thingy that covers the underneath of the engine, and I now know what I am looking for.

ta for advice.

Awful petrol filter position....

1. it needs to be on the input side to the pump (you may as well protect that as well)
2. best kept clear of any ignition sources as it is a potential leak hazard

Where your highlighting could be a few issues, most likely the pump has a leak, it could be the fuel clamps (jubilees are renowned for cutting into the pipes and also not forming a complete seal as they close in an oval fashion).

and your heat exchangers are those great big obvious things slung below.....

the 2 large ducts either side of the engine connect to the heat exchangers. As the hoses are in place I would guess they are fitted, have a look from underneath where the corrigated hoses are connected.

thanks for the advice. I will ask Matt at rusty kampers to have a shufty at the petrol filter position and maybe move it. and the heat exchangers........................I think the attached suggests they are no part of my bus. freezing winter journys ere we come !!!!!!!
2lt4qic.jpg

thanks.

There is one either side.

I am a complete retard when it comes to anything like this.

Maybe I will get a bit of heat out of it after all. thanks for all the help.

Now just got to work out what the heater controls do in the bus, as no coloured knobs on mine. right 2 seem to operate front grille vent flaps, presume the left 2 do the heater?

Now just got to work out what the heater controls do in the bus, as no coloured knobs on mine. right 2 seem to operate front grille vent flaps, presume the left 2 do the heater?

Try thiis link, it explains the heater system and what the sliders do, enjoy:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2%20Heating.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

I've just had a look at that website as I've not read it for while and I think its great! Well laid out and great explanations....my names not frank by the way! :lol:

downsouth said:
thanks.

There is one either side.

I am a complete retard when it comes to anything like this.

Maybe I will get a bit of heat out of it after all. thanks for all the help.

Dont worry best to ask questions.
The left ones are the heat controls. maybe check all the ducting from front to rear. Sometimes even though the controls could be down for the heat the flaps on the heat exchanges may not be fully open, so best to check underneath.

Also when fully working its not as good as a modern car, so dont expect great things.

A farting squirrel will probably give off more heat!

uber cool said:
Also when fully working its not as good as a modern car, so dont expect great things.

I disagree - my van with original heat exchangers & all the original vw pipe lagging etc in place provided excellent heat even in the coldest conditions, I believe Tofufi also found the same when he did his heating system up.
Repro heat exchangers, holes in the system & a lack of pipe lagging will make a huge difference to quality of the heating ;)

Loxy said:
uber cool said:

I disagree - my van with original heat exchangers & all the original vw pipe lagging etc in place provided excellent heat even in the coldest conditions, I believe Tofufi also found the same when he did his heating system up.
Repro heat exchangers, holes in the system & a lack of pipe lagging will make a huge difference to quality of the heating ;)
Oh, maybe I need to look at mine as well. :shock: :oops: :roll:
PS farting squirrels do give off alot of heat, so it all relative :lol:

finally, after the weather has thawed, I managed to get under the bus at in the dry at work with a bloke who knows what he's looking at. Flaps from heat x's had no cables attached , and look liked they have been wired up for closed/open winter/summer. We hooked the wire over to hold the flaps open, jumped in the cab and hey presto when you rev the engine, air came through. I went for a 15 min trip to pick up my girlfriend and by the time I got there, toasty warm. Genius.

I wish we has done it before we went up to manchester to se parents over christmas. y feet nearly fell off with the cold.

thanks everyone. The heater is really good. I love these old buses.

Latest posts