• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Type 2 Bay Wanted - £5000 Budget Max - GOT ONE - SORTED

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

formbyjules

Reaction score
Having bought a 1969 Tintop Bay in San Fran 22yrs ago on my round the world trip and loved every minute of my drive round 29 states of the US and a lot of Canada - I am now trying to buy my 20 yr old son a camper. Budget very limited I know but there must be something out there. If you can assist please drop me a line. 07793 652359 - Julian.

Hi - welcome to the forum!

Firstly would ask what sort of van you are after - e.g. LHD an option or RHD a must - also condition, are you willing to work on something that needs welding or would you prefer a solid base (like an import LHD or RHD) and then build up engine, interior e.t.c.

I bought a LHD import via Midland Early Bay who found me exactly what I was after, there's also Scott Wilson for RHD imports and a few other trusted traders on earlybay.com who can source vehicles to a budget so worth giving them a buzz to see what they have in? A tight budget but fingers crossed you may find someone on here with a van in that range and an honest appraisal of what needs doing!

good luck with the search :)

Thanks for the advice lard.

I think ideally I'm looking for a RHD. If possible I'd like one that drives (wouldn't we all!). I guess like anyone I want as much as I can for my money. I'm not massively mechanically minded if i'm honest but I am quite arty so interior and stuff like that I can do. I have a pal locally who is far more technical minded and has a gorgeous pop top of his own - he may assist me if there is some more technical stuff required. He also has a few contacts from stuff he's had done to his own van.

I'm not in a drastic rush if i'm honest (having said that the cash in sitting here ready to move fast if necessary). I think the priority is finding the right van - if I have to wait until October time when they are cheaper and there are more bargains to be had then so be it.

All guidance and help is really appreciated - you lot know your stuff. PM me or feel free to call -7793 652359 or email - [email protected]

hey dude i picked this up for £6.000 last sept with 12months mot on it have spent a bit on it as it deloped a few teething issues but it was rot and rust free as it had been restored 5 years ago and the owner needed a quick sale when i got her she looked like this

passside.jpg

enginebay.jpg

now she looks like this

front.jpg

engine.jpg

2photo.jpg

WOW - that looks exceptional for £6K, though not the norm I would suggest.................JIM.

Just goes to show though - sometimes it's worth waiting for the right one. Patience is a virtue. Times are hard. Everyone is skint ... come Christmas some people might need £5k desperately. You never know.

Not being funny but have you checked you can get insurance on a camper for a 20 year old, lots of companies now won't cover until at least 21 and the premium is still high.

Personally I think with £5K you will struggle to get a RHD bus, you may eventually get one but theres no telling what horror will lurk underneath the glossy paint, I've seen far too many RHD buses bought for what appears in the first instance to be good value only for the cracks to appear in the paint and failing their next MOT due to needing extensive welding work done. NEVER buy one on ebay unless you have seen it in the flesh.

If you know very little about bays please take someone with you who does as otherwise it could prove very costly :) :)

You are right about the insurance issue - any companies you know of who will insure a 21yr old who had just passed his test - even if its on MY policy and limited mileage etc.

Be very careful putting him on your policy; the rules have changed on this in the last couple of years. In fact, from memory when I tried to do it in my Dad's name with me as an extra driver I was told that they would not add a young (under 25) driver to anyone's policy and that it would *have* to be in my name with my father as the extra driver.

I was insured with Volksworld Insurance (HIC) last year as they could give me the best deal. As with all insurers you have to ring around for the best deal. Get some speculative quotes and let us know what you find out.

P.S. with a young driver it seems best to have a mostly OG camper as all modifications (lowering, alloys, bigger engines, etc) either make for a higher premium or companies not willing to cover.

Lame.

bermuda blue said:
WOW - that looks exceptional for £6K, though not the norm I would suggest.................JIM.

no the bloke wanted a quick sale i thought i was too good to be true but i had someone look it over and it was sound also it had passed mot with no advisorys

i ve spent a bit of money on it getting how i want it but don t we all :D

To be honest, you are buying at that time time of year when demand outstrips supply so prices tend to be top end.

I would strongly advise waiting 'til the end of the season as has already been suggested, but in the meantime that you visit some shows where there are always some buses for sale, and talk to the owners. They don't usually bite.

Do check the insurance position though; as well as the 'age' and 'son on dad's policy' issues (which they spot instantly by the way), the other point to watch for is whether your lad has access to a daily driver. If so then it is a plus point, if not you'll struggle to get cover.

My lad is just 24 and I have had to take him off the policy as the cost difference was astronomical and I could not get agreed valuation. It's a minefield I tell you. :cry:

Good luck.

Oh yeah - daily driver in their own name.

I drive 2 other cars but don't own either. This means that technically my van is my only vehicle. Despite looking at quotes for a mere 1,000 miles the costs were stupid.

I am 24 too, so am really interested in anything you find!

I'll keep you informed - actually been surprised by the number of reasonable buses out their. Just need to sort the insurance side and see which owner will do the best deal - and hey presto.

We are selling our late bay ...a good bus mechanically with some bodywork attention required. Can sort the trimming for you and have pair of rust free doors if you're interested.

OK - having investigated further - it now appears I have to have a RHD UK spec vehicle for insurance reasons (want my son insured on it too and they wont insure him on an import or LHD) - so with this in mind - my search continues. Now the insurance issue is fixed though I can move as soon as i find the right van. I'd also prefer a pop top ideally and I prefer Doormobile or Westy style poptops for some reason. Not a big fan of Devon or Danbury style pop top - don't ask me why - I just don't think they look as good.

formbyjules said:
OK - having investigated further - it now appears I have to have a RHD UK spec vehicle for insurance reasons (want my son insured on it too and they wont insure him on an import or LHD) - so with this in mind - my search continues. Now the insurance issue is fixed though I can move as soon as i find the right van. I'd also prefer a pop top ideally and I prefer Doormobile or Westy style poptops for some reason. Not a big fan of Devon or Danbury style pop top - don't ask me why - I just don't think they look as good.

I'm 21 and I'll be insured with HIC. LHD US import.

Hi, this ad seems perfect for me. I have owned my Van since I was 18 and it sounds like an awesome idea to get your son one. Me and my dad had the same idea and once I saved some cash I picked one up. However, unfortunately for me and fortunately for you I am now selling that van. It is a California Import 1969 Sunroof Bus Deluxe. It is blue with a white roof. Almost all the features are original. Its paint and rims have not beed changed. So if you wanted to restore it you could. It was my daily driver for a long time and the engine runs great to this day. I have lowered it a little on drop spindles and have fitted a rock'n'roll bed in the back and had the two front seats re-upholstered. All the seals have also been replaced. It is an awesome drive. The engine has also had work done and the brakes shoes have recently been changed. Also Adrian Flux Insurance insured me for a good price from when I was 18, if i recall correct it was a £1000 pounds. I am now 22 and am moving to Canada so I need to let the bus go. If you are interested I can send over some pictures. I am looking to sell it for around £8000 pounds. The only bit of work that needs doing is a tiny rust spot under the left side of the cab. If you are interested please contact me on 0787 202 4049 or email me at [email protected].
Regards,
Zach Cave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts