type 4 36/40 manifolds

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bus72

Reaction score
a pair of solex 36/40 carbs have just come into my possesion and i would like to try and fit them onto my type 4 engined bus does anybody know if you can get new or old taller solex 36/40 manifolds to fit my type 4.
i have manifolds with the carbs but they would have been fitted into a 412 and were much shorter than the manifolds
that i have in my 2lt bay. its not just a case of fitting the 36/40's onto the manifolds in my bus as the flanges on the carbs are larger. any advise please.

The stubby manifolds will fit mate. I had a set in one of my buses before.

They were possibly the worst carbs i have ever had the misfortune of having though...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mattyd72 said:
The stubby manifolds will fit mate. I had a set in one of my buses before.

They were possibly the worst carbs i have ever had the misfortune of having though...

can i assume that you used a non standard air filter setup. my carbs came with a complete air box that looks very similar
to the t25 type that iam running in my bus the only difference is that the filter box is not as tall as the t25 type. this would be
due to the stumpy manifolds on the 36/40's. i would like to use all the vag setup if possible but am unsure if the carbs and stubby manifolds once bolted on will clear the tinwear, i understand that these carbs were fitted to the 1800 412 and because of the obvious space issue were mounted on very short manifolds, so did vw modify the top tinwear so that the airbox and linkeage would fit nice and snug. :?: :?: i hope all the info wont have people falling asleep with boredom but just
wanted to make sure i can use the parts i have before i start getting my tools out.

It all fits on the stock tinwear, i used the stock air filter and linkage too.
8y3yny4u.jpg

This is it

It all sits low but fits on bus tinwear :smile:

mattyd72 said:
It all fits on the stock tinwear, i used the stock air filter and linkage too.
8y3yny4u.jpg

This is it

It all sits low but fits on bus tinwear :smile:

ha ha funny as fu"k ive just been looking at this very picture that i found on tinternet :lol: i take it you sold the setup
because you were unable to get them to run on your engine, what did you have 17 18 or 2lt

I got them running well in the end, there just is not much available for them spares wise.
I found a nos rebuild kit at a bmw stand at bealieau autojumble about 5years ago that helped a lot.
The set pictured above was a set that came off a 412ls that i broke.

mattyd72 said:
I got them running well in the end, there just is not much available for them spares wise.
I found a nos rebuild kit at a bmw stand at bealieau autojumble about 5years ago that helped a lot.

well you did get them to run so that does give me some confidence the carbs i have are complete and in as new condition.
so fingers crossed.

For the hassle they gave me i should have just got something else and put them in the bin but they were ok in the end.
Saying that i built another type 4 up and used dells this time instead :lol:

mattyd72 said:
For the hassle they gave me i should have just got something else and put them in the bin but they were ok in the end.
Saying that i built another type 4 up and used dells this time instead :lol:

yes if i had the spondles i would go for 36 dels but i dont so i will see what i can do with what i have.

mattyd72 said:

did you find any setup info on the web i have a haynes for the varient but nothing in it for the 1800 with these carbs :(

This was part of the problem i experienced. There just isn't any info on these, they only got fitted to a couple of bmw 02 models and a merc. Then vw fitted them to the 412 and type 127 industrial engine.

In the end i set them up in a similar way to a single solex. Idle is the big one mixture is the pointy one iirc.
Set the idle then lean it out then half a turn back. Then reset idle if required.
The balance pipe is very important.
They are very susceptible to vacuum leaks.

mattyd72 said:
This was part of the problem i experienced. There just isn't any info on these, they only got fitted to a couple of bmw 02 models and a merc. Then vw fitted them to the 412 and type 127 industrial engine.

In the end i set them up in a similar way to a single solex. Idle is the big one mixture is the pointy one iirc.
Set the idle then lean it out then half a turn back. Then reset idle if required.
The balance pipe is very important.
They are very susceptible to vacuum leaks.

ive been using the 32/34 pdsit on my type 4 these as iam sure you know have air bypass etc, they are more complicated to
set up than any other carb system i have ever used. if these 36/40 are in good order they should be fairly simple to set, i hope!

Latest posts