type4 engine on earlybay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melod

Reaction score
I am thinking of changing my bay engine (a 1600cc original) to a type4 2000cc of a t3. do i have to change a lot in my engine bay? and the gearbox? can i fit the t3 gearbox into my earlybay, easily??
thanks

i need help! i have to decide if i will make the engine swap in a couple of day. the most important question i have is the gearbox. i will buy the type4 engine with gearbox and i would like to put it in my bay, but i think its quite different. the engine and gear box come from a type 3, or t25, with 4 speeds.. please help!

As I understand it the t3 gearbox has a gear selector mechanism on the side rather than the end which I think makes it very difficult to fit into your bus, There may be a way of converting it but I would think its simpler to use a 6 rib 2litre box from a late bay. also if you don't have a gearbox hanger then I think thats a heavy engine to have hanging off the engine brace bar & front gearbox mount.

Hope you didn't buy that setup.

You have to change a lot in the gearbox to convert it to frontshift, not just the nosecone.
If you don't find the 6 ribs (091) gearbox from a late bay, then its easier to fit a 1303/ 1303S beetle gearbox. (you can buy kits)

You might get the engine to fit, but you will have to cut in your bus, much better to convert the engine to upright cooling. And if its a CU engine, it will need machine work to make the alternator fit. This is not needed if you use a late bay engine.

R.

i didnt buy the engine yet. and i will probably not buy it. i can find type4 gearboxes here for 200 euros in good condition, buy then i would need to sell the t3 gearbox. think i will change the admission to dual port and put 2 carbs off a vw brasilia. think is a good choice, and not very expensive one!

I have a 2.0 type 4 engine in my split screen, I didn't do it so don't know how hard it was to do, but by god it goes well 8).

I believe mine has a 1303 gearbox. But havnt got that far into looking at it.

The type4 1700cc engine was introduce first for the '72 model year, very different engine bay shape.

Have you thought about changing the cooling system on the type4 to type1/2? that way it should fit into the earlybay engine bay.

:)

thats a massive cost increase, its not a simple bolt on job, I think it would be cheaper to cut the bay to fit the Type 4 engine.

AxlFoley said:
thats a massive cost increase, its not a simple bolt on job, I think it would be cheaper to cut the bay to fit the Type 4 engine.

Not cheap no, but more forgiving to the EB :)

AxlFoley said:

Has anyone got photo's of a engine bay cut out for a type 4 engine? My project has some nasty hacks around the engine bay so want to ensure the PO was not running a type 4 eng... ta

Latest posts