Tyre recommendations

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've a totally stock 69 Devon, and it currently runs commercial tyres with a different make and model at each corner!

They are all getting pretty worn and after many years ownership the time has come to change all 4. Could anyone give me any recommendations on some new rubber?

I've fitted Michelin Agilis to my stock bus and am pretty please so far.

I did a lot of research before I bought them and they came out the best.

I really like my Hanook's comercial rated. Drive great and afforable.

But i think if you use the search you will find quiet a few results on your question.

Got a pair of budget Event tyres for mine (185 R14 C). £60 fitted and they seem really good. They have all the required safety stamps and marks etc. I'm a fan of fitting quality tyres but also not going silly expensive for a vehicle that has limited use. I researched them and it turns out that they are from Chinese producer (as are many budget and quality brands!) that use latest materials and production methods from a new factory built around 2003 (I think).

I fitted some Federal supersteel XL's to the back of mine, they were the best for less than about £70 a corner. Got them from halfords autocentre and you did get money off for buying 2 or more. Think they came to less than £50 fitted a corner

Stock 14" wheels, so I'm putting 4 Michelin Agilis on this winter. They do a 195/80 so that's on the back, 185 on the front.
There not cheap, but do have a B rating for rain.

It's horses for courses really.

There's no major safety features on the vehicles, the brakes are ok, but, if like me you're loaded up fully with gear and family, then tyres are important.

Yes, there is a big difference between crap budget and good branded, so spend wisely. But then the grip and stopping differences are also different, and usually equate to the cost.

It always annoys me, that someone might spend £10 -£20k on a resto/kit out of a T2 or T5, but then stick cheap budget tyres on.... Crazy.

I am biased though - I was involved in a bad crash years ago. Remoulds on the back of my mates XR2i caused us to fish-tail and barrell roll down a bank. I'd driven prior, and told him the tyres were crap. This proved it.

As Pirelli Used to say - "Power is nothing without control"....

Zcat7 said:
Got a pair of budget Event tyres for mine (185 R14 C). £60 fitted and they seem really good. They have all the required safety stamps and marks etc. I'm a fan of fitting quality tyres but also not going silly expensive for a vehicle that has limited use. I researched them and it turns out that they are from Chinese producer (as are many budget and quality brands!) that use latest materials and production methods from a new factory built around 2003 (I think).

We use these on our Transit vans at work. No idea about grip etc, but they don't last 5mins. They also scrub very quickly if tracking is out. Other than that, I've no idea. We buy as they're dirt cheap.

We run a fleet of 20.

I have a set of vanco 2 fitted to mine. great so far:

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/continental/vanco-2/195/75/R14/Q/106/f?gclid=CIrOurHvicECFUT4wgod87oAMA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hipshaker said:
I have a set of vanco 2 fitted to mine. great so far:

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/continental/vanco-2/195/75/R14/Q/106/f?gclid=CIrOurHvicECFUT4wgod87oAMA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good tyres. OEM on many new vans.

Dare I ask a newbie question of what the original OEM tyre size was?

Mine is currently on Made in Poland 'Debica Quatra' tyres. ((was wearing them when I bought it last month). Unfortunately they have loads of tread so can't justify swappin them yet - I will see how long they last then get some decent ones in a couple of years all being well. I've jsut had a look at Black Circles - Hankook come out OK, £57 each (delivered, not fitted) but get the best combination of rolling resistance and wet performance out of that bunch.

(It helps me that I work next to a tyre place so fitting is cheap and easy.!)

Dickie524 said:
Dare I ask a newbie question of what the original OEM tyre size was?

Mine is currently on Made in Poland 'Debica Quatra' tyres. ((was wearing them when I bought it last month). Unfortunately they have loads of tread so can't justify swappin them yet - I will see how long they last then get some decent ones in a couple of years all being well. I've jsut had a look at Black Circles - Hankook come out OK, £57 each (delivered, not fitted) but get the best combination of rolling resistance and wet performance out of that bunch.

(It helps me that I work next to a tyre place so fitting is cheap and easy.!)

Most likely 185R14C. Common tyre and widely available.

Steve B said:
Zcat7 said:

We use these on our Transit vans at work. No idea about grip etc, but they don't last 5mins. They also scrub very quickly if tracking is out. Other than that, I've no idea. We buy as they're dirt cheap.

We run a fleet of 20.

Oh well, you buy cheap you buy twice as they say! :) As I say the mileage isn't extensive so hopefully this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Zcat7 said:
Steve B said:
Zcat7 said:

We run a fleet of 20.

Oh well, you buy cheap you buy twice as they say! :) As I say the mileage isn't extensive so hopefully this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Yeah, they'll last quite a bit if hardly used. Just thought I'd mention it, that's all pal.

Steve B said:
Yeah, they'll last quite a bit if hardly used. Just thought I'd mention it, that's all pal.

All good feedback Steve B, especially as you have solid first-hand experience of them. Plus now I know to keep an eye on the wear pattern :)

Latest posts