Tyres for lowered vans

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefonze

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've seen a lot of photos on the tyres and stance thread and I've decided that for my lowered 69 devon bay id like to run 185/65/R14 tyres all round. These look ace on the original wheels but I am struggling to find out what speed and load rating is advised and what tyre makes etc.

The only make I can find which seem to be suitable are the 185--65R14_TL_Maxxis_CR965_93--91N type.

Can anyone tell me what load and speed rating they are running with the same size tyres?

Thanks

Speed rating is never going to be an issue with an early bay. :lol: Don't even take it into consideraion

As for load rating, well there's a can of worms. 91 should be ample. Others argue at least 93. Some even say 95. Quite a few of us are running 72. :msn4:

I bought some good quality part worn tyres which are 185/65/R14 86h 6 ply, I got these as they were reasonably priced and I wanted to see in the flesh If they would work with the height restrictions under my arches etc.
They work and look a treat but I'm now worried whether they are rated high enough.
The trailer maxx tyres I mentioned are 93 rated but other than that I can't find any others of the correct load rating.

Cheers

I think you should consider some slightly larger diameter tyres on the back, not just for load rating more for the gearing with the engine so it's not over revving and working to hard at speed. Maybe 185/70 or 75. I think stock was 185/80 or 185/C commercial rated which have quite a bit more diameter than 185/65.

I previously had some Dunlop 175/65/14 on the front which where 91 rated. A good size for a medium low bus.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts