UK RHD original paint 68 bay project.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grazy said:
Looks a big project mate , but well worth doing , Uk rHD bus 8)

Would look cool running at that height too if you do get adjustable plates go for Slamwerks ones as the go a little lower than Creative ones ;)

Keep up the updates mate

Cheers for the advice!

I'd use Slamwerks for a change anyway I think, Creative are known to drag their heels!

It's getting there... Been & had the paint mixed for the underneath today. Back in action tomorrow...

Gill.

Cheers for the advice!

I'd use Slamwerks for a change anyway I think, Creative are known to drag their heels!

It's getting there... Been & had the paint mixed for the underneath today. Back in action tomorrow...

Gill.

vwgillybilly said:
Last night's progress...

A9CED3D1-AAFC-4C8B-90A0-CECC7971003D-317-0000002DC0A7FFB8.jpg

84577B96-5EDC-4E5F-ADF7-012B9D98F29F-317-0000002DBA6CA7D1.jpg

A078B2CF-2337-4112-BD03-087464E210BC-317-0000002DB34D48EC.jpg

06081572-4EB4-49C4-AFE7-B6ED27A16BF5-317-0000002DADCC8438.jpg

Some tidying up still to do but I finally have an engine bay!

Gill.

Hey what's that little round platform in the engine bay for?

Oil bath air filter bracket mate.

Nah not gonna deluxe it... Kinda glad it's not a deluxe in a way!

Gill.

enjoying watching this being brought back to life. was always going to make a bloody nice van, you just don't find uk rhd busses as unmolested and complete as that these days.

Ta!

Oh yeah it's unmolested... Wish I could say the same about my Porsche tractor after rolling if today!

I'll put a pic up when I have the heart...

Gill

Yup on its side... Managed to jump clear!

Managed to get it on its wheels & fire it straight back up...

Wasn't a pleasant experience...

Dinged bonnet, snapped light bracket & bent steering column...

936B01A0-7D53-44AC-9308-A4DB3F593E55-194-00000006E280CF75.jpg

Gill.

dubscum said:
scary shit

Yup, wasn't nice...

I did a bit more last night, removed cargo door handle to get a key code & removed fuel flap to get a blend on paint for underneath. On previous projects I have used POR15 in either straight black or grey then painted over it, however this time I thought I'd try a different approach.

Hammerite used to do a smooth paint called Powder Blue - which was very close to Neptune, however this was discontinued in 2002. Hammerite state that paints can't be mixed, however numerous threads on forums say that they can as long as it's smooth with smooth & not hammered with smooth. So I bought three likely looking colous & gave it a try;

Smooth Blue
Smooth White
Smooth Wild Thyme

Here's what I got...

D6D24941-8E4C-4F9F-891B-D8EB15AFA5E9-307-000000A2B1F4F52D.jpg

863E342F-63D3-4D36-890B-62C13424F1F5-307-000000A2A698D105.jpg

93F2A459-3536-491D-AC61-D678CB4DC716-307-000000A29E2FAB68.jpg

Quite happy with the outcome, it took roughly even amounts of all the paints to get the colour.

Gill.

Hey up gill,its Jona.Good to see your back on with this mate will make a really cool van when its done.Really fancied it myself when I saw you had put it up for sale but still not finished mine yet, june is the target as my little lad wants us to go to cornwall in it.Will have to let me know when your having a day on it and me and mark will come across and bring you that wheel he has for you.Sorry about the tractor mate hope the damage is'nt to bad.

ICECREAM MAN said:
Hey up gill,its Jona.Good to see your back on with this mate will make a really cool van when its done.Really fancied it myself when I saw you had put it up for sale but still not finished mine yet, june is the target as my little lad wants us to go to cornwall in it.Will have to let me know when your having a day on it and me and mark will come across and bring you that wheel he has for you.Sorry about the tractor mate hope the damage is'nt to bad.

Alright dude?! Cheers for that pal, yeah it's coming on... Just sticking the beam on & dropping it on it's wheels kicked my 4rse back into gear again. Getting the engine bay sorted was the biggest hurdle, the rest is relatively straight forward now - he says! Have you got a build thread on here?

Yeah pop down dude, be good to see you both!

Damage was really light to be honest mate, had to straighten the steering column, weld the light bracket back on & knock the bonnet about a bit - which was full of yack anyway! I'll paint it eventually but I have another Junior that I'm sorting at the minute as well.

Some pics post repair - the left hand side light bracket was always wonky!

E34A6A45-259A-4BC7-AD18-341995C019FA-497-00000041B531B7DF.jpg

CFBEEE90-AEFF-4B87-8337-FC9495399166-497-00000041A653CA41.jpg

Gill.

strange how it has a firewall dude never seen one on a 68 before is this a uk only thing or does it look kustom

Do you mean between the tank & engine bay dude?

If so then I don't know if UK buses had them or not but for 25 quid posted off eBay I thought it would be a nice touch, it can either go in or not. It's not custom as it's a genuine VW panel.

Gill.

yeah thats the one .I thought they are 69 onwards dude but it looks like there was one there already that is why i asked. So i wondered knowing that other countries did not have them on a 68, if uk buses did as i have never been in the back end of a uk 68. i Agree though tidies up that area if it is supposed to be there or not and its got to be safer :)

is getting there now dude gonna be a real nice bus, i will try and popover with them spindles when i can

it's Matt by the way :D

tonicman said:
is getting there now dude gonna be a real nice bus, i will try and popover with them spindles when i can

it's Matt by the way :D

I did think that dude based on the username!

Yeah no drama mate whenever...

The fuel tank tray cut isn't original to the bus so it's possible that it didn't have the panel fitted originally, but I like it so its going in & like you say - safer!

Gill.

Massive shout to Rick at Schofield's... Rang yesterday with the lock code & have a VW emblem key that works all locks perfectly today!

Gill

Latest posts