UK RHD original paint 68 bay project.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, 4 months & a house move later & she's now my no.1 priority bus again, taking pride of place in my garage - I kicked the split into touch for a while!

There has been 'behind the scenes' progress. I sold the 15 inch non - Crows feet & replaced them with Crow's feet painted in Cloud White. I have had the bumpers & badge blasted & painted in Cloud White too. The bumpers are fully rebuilt and safely in the cellar waiting to be fitted, the original foot mats cleaned up a treat!

I'm tempted to have the roof painted Clound White too but I'll hang fire for now.

Saw the light of day for the first time in 3 years on Saturday!

Unloading was a bit precarious.....

Gave her a clean & dust down!

Then gave the rear corner a rub with some T-Cut - looks awesome! Gonna try & buff the rest of the bus later.

Gill.

vwgillybilly said:
So, 4 months & a house move later & she's now my no.1 priority bus again, taking pride of place in my garage - I kicked the split into touch for a while!

There has been 'behind the scenes' progress. I sold the 15 inch non - Crows feet & replaced them with Crow's feet painted in Cloud White. I have had the bumpers & badge blasted & painted in Cloud White too. The bumpers are fully rebuilt and safely in the cellar waiting to be fitted, the original foot mats cleaned up a treat!

I'm tempted to have the roof painted Clound White too but I'll hang fire for now.

Saw the light of day for the first time in 3 years on Saturday!

Unloading was a bit precarious.....

Gave her a clean & dust down!

Then gave the rear corner a rub with some T-Cut - looks awesome! Gonna try & buff the rest of the bus later. I think this is almost certain to be a keeper now if I sell the split.

Gill.

Cheers - it's getting there!

Gonna buff the rest this week then hopefully get the seam sealing done & underneath painted next week. There are a few bits of niggly welding to do first though. It's been a monumental amount of work but it's getting there. The only thing that dissappoints me is the slight distortion in the quarter panels from welding in the rear arches but I'll try & beat it out a bit & live with it rather than fill it with plod. I suppose it comes with the teritory when trying to keep as much original paint as possible.

Getting quite excited about finishing it now!

Gill.

i am rob said:
stunned at how well that's polished!

Pictures always look better but yeah it looks a treat. Rotary buffer & G3 is all it took!

Managed to do rest of bottom half tonight & also wet flatted the horrendous dark blue 'blow ins' out!

Gill.

Cheers!

I'm tempted by Sprintstars but I will leave the Crow's feet on for now.

Managed to get the lower front panel skimmed last night & also got rid of some of the distortion with a dolly, the rear arches now look quite acceptable. Did a bit more of the final finish welding & getting about ready to put the cargo floor in which will be the last welding job - it's nice to be able to get to bits & bobs through the floor!

I'll post more pics up after the weekend.

Not sure whether to notch the rear or not, the front will have to come up to clear the dip at the top of my drive, so I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle?

Gill.

I love how just mopping paint can bring back so much of the colour, I just need to time to sit down and do it.. At the moment I have a list as long as my right arm and no time to do it.. Keep going mate, looks like its going to be mega,

Good looking bus that!!
But if your painting in the arches are you just goin to try n local them in so as to not lose your new shiney paint??

I G3'd all mine up which was probably a waste of time in the end as I located the bits in that I wanted to paint, then I wet flatted with 800 the whole van then laquered it!!!

Might be an option for you???
Seals all your patina in & you can still wash n polish it 8) !!

Or I could just keep me nose out :lol: :lol:

All advice & opinions welcome!

Yeah just gonna blend it with cellulose. To be honest it only took me 45 minutes to mop the bottom half. I may end up painting the whole back quarters but I'll see!

Gill.

Looking good gill,just started getting stuck into mine.Having the beam tig welded up this week then I can get those spindles on you did me and role it out the garage for the first time in 3 years.Will have to pop across one weekend for a look at your front end set up if you dont mind,looks like you live on the next road down from where we used to live.We lived on prospect road. Jona

Geezer!!!

Yes mate just down the road from Prospect, didn't know you used to live there? Been there about 3 months now, pop round anytime!

Got cargo floor in last night & finished tidying cab floor up. All welding should be 100% done this week hopefully. Started doing a bit of prep on the front panel aswell so things are moving on!

Gill.

Latest posts