Unidentified (as yet) interior in '69 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no 6

Reaction score
Can anybody identify this interior in my '69 dormobile ?

P5150034.jpg

PS: The Dormobile serial number is 52441.1.804, and the reg is BPL 97H

Thanks for any info or ideas

The van has a Dormobile roof and the serial number plate in the cab. I'm assuming that this interior is not a Dormobile one, and am planning to rip it out. I just wanted to check that it's not a rare or interesting before I do that.

Not to sure what interior that is dude???? like the table tho and interesting seats on sliders 8)

no 6, your Dormobile interior is infact...... a Dormobile interior, believe it or not! :D
As you are finding out, the particular Dormy you have seems to be quite rare.
When I was little, a parent of one of my class mates did the school run in one of those, and that's how I remember it.
It was many years (like 30 ish) since I saw that type of interior again, and that was in the David Eccles book of VW campers and interiors, which I got at Christmas. :D
To give you some more details from the book: The 'normal' Dormy interior we see is a D4/6 interior, whilst yours is a D4/8. It was designed as a people carrier, as the camping units such as wardrobe, cooker, wash basin etc were removable. The cupboard with the sliding shutter would have sat on the engine deck on the offside.
So don't rip it out! You have a rare Dormy indeed! :D

Good news number 6! as these chaps have said^^^keep it in.

How many different dormy interiors were their then? :?:

Very interesting van you have there. I have never seen one before, though I have heard of the D4/8.

Its surprising that they did not use the usual Dormobile formica, fittings and handles in this conversion.

Be interesting to see some more pictures of the interior and how the bed looks etc. Do you have the cooker and sink too?

:)

Yes, I'd like to see more photos too, please. :)

It appears there were only the two versions available, though they were exported and made in Australia too. I have seen one or two of the Australian ones in adverts.

Regarding fittings, the version in the book seems to have the 'standard' table as seen in most Dormys, so maybe the original table in No 6s van was lost or replaced at some stage. :)

Post the details of yoru vin plate, there are a couple of guys on her who can tell you a lot about your van from it.

Thanks for the replies. I did hope that it would be an interesting one, but didn't really expect it. I think it's quite a clever setup - an 8 seater (both sets of rear seats can be configured forwards or backwards) for day-to-day use and then a decent sized bed for camping.

My ideal interior would be similarly multi-use, but probably with a full-width seat and a space where flexible furniture could be added.

I'll take more photos and post them, but there's not much more than you can see there. The back of the passenger seat (where I believe the VIN plate should be ?) has been carpeted and so far I haven't been able to shift it to get at the VIN plate.

Yup - that's the one, but with the cupboard moved and the cooker removed. I let the previous owner keep the cooker D'oh!

Well if its a rare model why not ask the previos owner for it or offer him another cooker in exchange - be nice to have the original one for the van surely? :)

I'm not sure I want the responsibility of looking after such a rare beast, and can't see how we can put adequate seatbelts in for the kids (the existing ones just thread through the seat frame). So I'm considering selling it on, so I can buy a more common one for domestic duty.

Is anybody interested ?

I say just enjoy it! Its lasted this long after all...if you like the van keep it!

Or sell it at a good price :wink: and get a 'normal' camper if there is such a thing!!

The crux for me is that if I can't put adequate seatbelts in for the kids (and at the moment I don't think I can), I'll have to take that interior out and put a different one in which would be a shame.

Latest posts