Update on 1972 Crossover wiring blues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganrue

Reaction score
Well, what a forum! Thanks to replies from Trikky2 and stuF, I was able to crack on with fixing up the wiring.

To recap, the bus has a Litesteer, which, when bought, would render the original horn inoperable. The gizmo connects the inner column shaft to the outer tube, electrically. More modern versions of the kit have eliminated this problem, I guess by using an insulating component.

My original indicator stalk had also gone west, replaced with a (British) car item. Luckily, this stalk has the horn "bip" on the end of the indicator.

By studying the Bentley diagram, and test-lamping the foreign switch, the indicator was soon wired up. I dumped a lot of PO pvc tape, crimps, and other shaky wiring connectors, and soldered on some spade connectors, sheathed with shrinkable tubing.

The horn function needed the two wires finding, one of them being fixed to earth, and the other to the line from the horn. Result!

The trickiest one was the headlamp dip/main, because the foreign stalk had all three wires going from the light feed, and back down to the headlamps-

this system has all the primary current for the lights going thru' small copper contacts in the switch. VW always used a more sophisticated system with a relay switching from dip to main, and only the relay earth wire (lower current) going to the switch.

The foreign switch originally had two contacts for flashing the headlights, where the stalk springs back afterwards. These were identified and one was earthed, and the other wired to the relay "S"...

We now have all the functions that VW intended, and no lousy flickswitch on the dash for a horn. Pleased.

Now, how to replace all the locks with a MATCHING key- any ideas???

Morgan in Luxembourg

Good result there then with your wiring. If you use the search button at the top row you will find how to adjust your locks to fit with one key, or find someone to do it for you, it's been covered here a lot over the years :)
Here's one.. http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59038&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts