Upright Type 4 Conversion In Early Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike.s

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a donor 2.0 CJ Type 4 motor which i`m considering putting in my 68 Bay.

My current engine has a damaged crank and flywheel so needs a rebuild. I was going to rebuild the Type 1 i already have into a bigger engine, but have also ended up with this Type 4 engine.

Someone has started the work on it to convert it upright cooling - it comes with a CSP shrouding kit, oil cooler, a custom support bar, electric fuel pump and heat exchangers, but it also needs a rebuild aswell really similiar to the Type 1.

My Type 1 has Dell 40s so i can reuse them, 14. rockers and also some GAC ported polished stock heads and a nice vw speedshop stainless exhaust.

So plan was to either bore this out to 94mm and fit a 74mm stroker crank to make 2054cc and then use the twin dells, gac heads and exhaust

or

Bore the Type 4 Engine out to 96mm, new ported polished cylinders, align bore the bottom end and use stock crank to make a 2056cc.

I`ve never had a Type 4 engine before so its a bit of unknown. It looks like with the 3 shrouds i have from CSP (or the DTM fan from the states), i would still need sealing tin around the back, sides of the engine and under the pulley to the rear valance.

The van it was taken off had he oil cooler mounted under the van in chassis rails - is that the best location? I imagine it would need a scoop? No air flow at idle though - not sure this would matter?

Also - the Type 4 is known for its great torque - would the Type 1 with a 74mm crank and 94mm barrels not behave the same with regards to torque?

Anyone done this before and can offer any advice?

Cheers, Mike

Can't help with the engine I'm afraid. We have a 72 row oil cooler mounted in between the chassis rails in front of the torsion bar housing. The fan is sat above the cooler blowing down for when the van is stationary. I made an air scoop for when the vans moving. It's pretty well protected and only the air scoop is below the chassis rails.
Don't forget to fit a check valve(flapper type) in the oil return line.

Cool - thanks - so when you are on the move - do you have the fan pushing air through from the top and then air from driving from the bottom through the scoop?

Do they are effectively both feeding through the cooler?

I did some calculations last night and they basically cost me to same - using the type 4 I have the hassle of getting it to all from right - but I get to keep my hot 1600 for the beetle which would be nice.

Scoop pushes air through cooler when moving. Seems to keep engine temp at @ 90. Fan blows down through cooler if/when in traffic... couldn't see the point of heating the camper floor up!!

Stick with the type 1 had have it built bigger. They are cheaper to build and if maintained right very reliable. Type 4 engines should stay in type 4’s and late buses imo, the kits to fit them in a type 1 based vehicle are a bit of Heath Robinson affair in my eyes. And it appears you have some nice bits for the type 1 already.

As for oil cooler, yes between the chassis rails is fine. Make a nice scoop and the engine will run lovely

Thanks - yes - I reckon in go to stick with the type 1 for the van and build it bigger :)

I'm going to keep the type 4 though rebuild it using what I have and then fit it in our beetle which has a very tired engine (currently stolen into my my van lol) at a later date - should be quite alot of fun in the beetle!

Latest posts