US rear lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not on a bay, no. Pre 60-something earlier is ok, but not as late as 67. Dangerous, imo, too. :)

F**k me i've been driving around on the since Feb, nearly 6000 miles in Europe aswell. So it shouldn't have got through the mot then?

Hi Matt!
There are a few threads on here if you hunt about or do a search 'Mot', you'll find them..Some peeps change the light unit and lenses, and do a bit of rewiring, while others with reversing lights fitted (us imports) do a similar rewire but put an orange bulb in there and use that as the indicator, thus keeping the original red lenses...Did you change your headlamps for uk spec ones?... What did you do to stop the front sidelamps flashing when you indicate at night ?

got my reverse lights wired as indicators with orange bulbs, brother in law is mot tester , as he says sometimes will let things go, he also says its sometimes amazing the things some testers miss, depends if going by the book i suppose.

The VW Polo crowd use green bulbs behind their all-red rear lights and they flash orange. Anybody tried this on a bay with all-red lenses?

No but mite try that. The front lights were already changed when i got the van. Not sure how it managed to get an mot then. The rears are twin filiment bulbs aswell.

Remember also that the indicator and brake light use the same single filament bulb as standard - thats is also an MOT fail here even if its the correct colour .... which it couldnt be in both applications.
I love keeping the look stock, but have converted reverse lights to indicators to get over this ... and more importantly to ensure that other drivers know what Im doing ;)

Is it easier just to change the lense to one with Amber in it or is there more to be done than this?

Matt

That doesn't work as the brake light then displays the wrong colour, as Clem said above the brake and indicator light use the same bulb on US spec buses so changing the lenses to the Red/top half orange ones is a no no, changing the reverse lights over to be indicators is the easiest way and theres a thread in the technical stickies on how to do it. You will need to run a wire along the length of the van off the Hazard switch but thats the only complicated bit, the rest is just a quick rewire and some 21w 12v Amber bulbs (coolair sell these)

Why not just fit euro bulb holders and lenses.

Thats what I did to mine, take a new feed from the master cylinder for the brake lights and if I remember correctly run a wire from the hazard switch for the indicators.

Dont bother with the cheep repro bulb holders, the bulbs dont fit unless you grind off one of the bayonets.

i did exactly as above, kept red lenses for the u.s. look which i like, but can just change the lenses for uk ones for m.o.t. 8) . ex early bayer dubberdaz showed me the way just before he took up split arse ownership :shock: :msn4:

Latest posts