US side markers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustmonger

Reaction score
Just in the process of sorting bits for the outside of my bus ready for when it comes out of the paintshop. What are the correct reflectors for the side of a U.S. van? I'm guessing orange reflectors for the front as they are just reflectors but the rear ones have bulbs. Are they supposed to be red on both sides or is there a different colour for each side?

on my 70 westy, its rectangular orange reflectors up front, red with bulb holders in the rear(running lights), but rear are usually disconected as illegal to run im told

rustmonger said:
Thanks bud. Shame about them being illegal though.

agree there - though I'm thinking a cheeky switch and 12v feed would make a useful feature for finding the bus at night on the campsite :)

rustmonger said:
Thanks bud. Shame about them being illegal though.

so are my us spec plates, but ive just ordered some new red lenses and buld holders so i can hook up my side markers :lol: ;) , check out the for sales section, bay dreamers clearout thread

I ran my van with the rear side markers working and was advised on my first MOT after import, that one was not working at to get it fixed.

Hiya rust,

OK..........straight from the States...........the lowdown on side reflectors and side markers.

Know that what you will have will depend on the year of your Bus. Since yours is a 70 the USA spec Bus will run amber reflectors in the front. These rectangular reflectors will be trimmed in silver and mounted to the doors on each side. The rears are rectangular red marker lights trimmed in silver. These lights are wired to come on when the light switch is at first pull (parking lights) or second pull (headlights).

Note 1970 USA spec Bus...........

IMG_0348.jpg

In the years (68 and 69) prior to this side markers were round reflectors, amber in front (on the dogleg just below the door) and red in the rear.

In the years after 1970 the configuration of the sidemarkers stayed basically the same as in 1970. However, in 1974 (IIRC) the trim on the sidelights and reflectors went to black

Not sure what the actual stance is about being illegal, i have the rectangular ones on my bus and yes the rear red ones had buld holders when i got it but they weren't connected.

I called if i recall JK and asked for the lenses and 4 bulb holders to be told he could sell them all together as illuminting the fronts were illegal. Any way fitted them and they have been on the bus in working order for three years and never failed an MOT or been pulled.

My comments are that Volvo's have them albeit the rears are not red as do lorrys of all sizes.

So i think we need a definative answer, anyone??

Oh just bought them again and will have them refitted and working once the bus is back on the road (hopefully for Vanfest)

Bookwus said:
In the years (68 and 69) prior to this side markers were round reflectors, amber in front (on the dogleg just below the door) and red in the rear.

my 69 has rectangular lenses....

running lights looks the nuts i think..i have them and have never been pulled and it's never been mentioned at mot time?

Latest posts