USA plates on UK roads.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john the horse

Reaction score
Last year i got stopped three times for dodgy no plates, well i have to admit i didnt have one on the front once.

Anyway i had so much grief runiing cali no plates, that were illegal due to it saying california on the top and being yellow on black that i reverted back to standard uk plates.

Each to their own but i liked the look of my plate on the back and so as you all know can get us plates white on black no worries with no extra writing ontop.

So there fore based on the fact that the bus is a US import then surely i can run US size plates based on the link below especially if i get a surround.

http://www.american-auto-club.co.uk/aac_articles/index.php?task=show&id=71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know loadsa dudes run US style plates and TBH dont care if they are legal or not but cant be arsed to be stopped and get a ticket again so question stands is it legal or not

jth :D

It's a loophole that I'd use but it really applies to cars with body apertures, but I think with the right attitude it would mean a friendly chat with the feds as opposed to a ticket.
I've never yet been stopped in 6 years :)

Its luck of the draw, and depends how bored your local bobbies are, round my way they are too busy chasing people with knives and guns to care :lol:

Touch wood I've had no issues with the Feds around my way. I'm running a plain silver on black US style plate. So I guess the fact that the vans old and the plate is black and silver helps
Adam

What about us plates in France , any experiences? We run black and white plates in plate frames.

I have black and sliver but USA size as in plate frame
All was good for 3 years and 3 mot's until to day ,fail mot and this was one of reason why
Boo mr mot man

toffo24 said:
What about us plates in France , any experiences? We run black and white plates in plate frames.

I was followed for a while by the French police ... eventually they overtook me with a hang loose wave :D

I was followed for a while by the French police ... eventually they overtook me with a hang loose wave :D[/quote]

What were they doing in Gloucester?[/quote]

:lol:

We have the toughtest MOT regs over here in N.I., I have white on black US plates on my bug with writing top and bottom and nothing is said. The Font is within regulation though, that might be the reason.

alex4057 said:
Its luck of the draw, and depends how bored your local bobbies are, round my way they are too busy chasing people with knives and guns to care :lol:

:lol:

I got pulled about a month ago for my US plates because the paint had flaked off some of the letters and they were un readable. The copper said I'm gonna turn a blind eye to the plates themselves because I know you fella's just wanna look authentic, so just make them ledgeable again :shock: We then had a 40 minute chat about buses cos he went round oz in 1 when he was at uni :lol:

I was polite and respectful towards him and I think that helped a fair bit tbh.

while were on plates wheres the best place to buy some us style plates :mrgreen:

I have gone by that loophole for 10 years and have been through every MOT in 5 test stations. I have US style white on black in a US og plate surrounds.
I'm not saying it is right but it seems to be the compromise!

Latest posts