Van driving in neutral

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke

Reaction score
When i first start my van up (everything cold), drop the van into neutral and lift the clutch my engine revs drop lower (or in very cold stalls!) and the van slowly creeps forward. Not alot, its fine if the handbrake is on, but enough to make it crash into the workbench in the garage when im not in the van! Does this mean that my gearbox is worn and needs changing or is there some adjustment, also if i do need to change it is there anything which is geared better for motorways that i could fit?
van is a 72 crossover with 1641cc and twin webers.
Cheers Luke.

dubs and classics said:
Changing the gearbox oil usually cures it dude. ;)

Creeping forward in neutral usually means the clutch is somewhat engaging.
Loosen the clutch cable a bit but more importantly check the clutch plates (means dropping the engine)
They are dry plates so changing the oil won't hav much to do with your problem - but if you're going to change the oil to be
sure to change to full synthetic for smoother gear change.
When changing the oil you should also check for metal bits in the oil / on the magnet, if there's many it's bad news...

T2-Nate said:
dubs and classics said:
Changing the gearbox oil usually cures it dude. ;)

Creeping forward in neutral usually means the clutch is somewhat engaging.
Loosen the clutch cable a bit but more importantly check the clutch plates (means dropping the engine)
They are dry plates so changing the oil won't hav much to do with your problem - but if you're going to change the oil to be
sure to change to full synthetic for smoother gear change.
When changing the oil you should also check for metal bits in the oil / on the magnet, if there's many it's bad news...

I think the OP means it creeps forwards with the engine cold clutch up M8

Not a prob with the clutch. Not a prob with the gearbox either. A worn one will do it less than a new one.

As suggested, change the gearbox oil using ep80 or 70/80 (rather than straight ep90). Its quite normal and is due to oil drag when the oil is cold. Thats why is says start in neutral with the handbrake on :lol:

I've been having the same problem. I thort it would be the clutch that needs adjusting. Will also try changing the gearbox oil.

thanks all, i will put some more oil in, i should probably have thought of this myself but i kept thinking that i checked it not long ago...then i realised that was in 2004!

hi ive had the same problem ,but ive done a gearbox oil change this morning and problem solved !!! happy days!!!

regards
chris

Latest posts