van floor

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
What do u guys use in your vans on the floor. Im guessing its ply board ???
How'd u get the exact shape

Not ideal (as it's not good against water) but I used MDF as I had a load lying around.

I cut some cardboard to get the edge profiles by the doors and cut the edges on two pieces. I then laid them in place and planed the overlapping edges until they tucked together in a nice, tight fit.

Best way is to do it in 2 layers, first layer sits inside the lip in the floor surface, 6mm from memory and then another layer on top, 9mm from memory, that covers most of the floor area, you can get the whole floor out of a sheet of each again.

This is how we have always done them,

Graham L said:
Best way is to do it in 2 layers, first layer sits inside the lip in the floor surface, 6mm from memory and then another layer on top, 9mm from memory, that covers most of the floor area, you can get the whole floor out of a sheet of each again.

This is how we have always done them,

This is what I did :mrgreen:

Who's johnny ? What have i done
Have i posted this in the wrong place ?
Its just general chit chat ... Or is this classed as tech ?
Can i get any more questions into one post :D lol
Am i in trouble

Thanks for that chap. So once you've cut the floor to size how is it normally fixed down . Is it screwed or bolted ?

And before you put the covering on , whatever that may be ,do u treat the wood with anything to seal it or is that not needed.

Grrr just went to order my floor from the local builders yard and all the ply boards come in 8' x 4 ' how annoying that means cuts all over the place :(

yeah mine has a joint , in front of the bed , I used marine ply so it should't rot !!

Check my thread mate , a few tips on turning a van into a camper ish van 8)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=20193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps you

Thanks that was really interesting. Did i notice underlay on the floor. Is that ok would it hold moisture ?

6 mm wpa ply (that's weather proof/ Marine plywood) on the bottom 3 mm on top same stuff 9 mm in total

Wickes stock it in the larger sheets

018.jpg

016.jpg

using the cabinet screws i secured the 3 mm to the 6mm to stop the bounce or to keep the single join together ( its under the westy bed)

http://richardrussell.co.uk/product-sheet-plywood/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

harlequin has mentioned these guys before, they do all sorts, thicknesses and sizes (ie 10x5 for one piece floor). I know they're not local to everyone but if they do it then there is a likelihood there will be other similar suppliers elesewhere, you've got to find them. These guys supply some smaller timber merchants so it is not always in the merchants interests to let on about companies such as these as they are in competition.

They might know of other suppliers elsewhere..

Latest posts