Van security -wheel clamp

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicky5ash

Reaction score
Hi,

I’d like some advice on the best security measure..am thinking a wheel clamp any suggestions?

Cheers
Rich

Hi, I’ve just bought (Halfords was the cheapest) a Bulldog Euroclamp as a visual deterrent. It is heavy duty and easy to attach (key to ensure it is used) and small enough to keep in the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch and Brake pedal locks are a good one to stop the general chancers, not cheap though, 90-120quid

Like the clutchclaw

https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/vw-bay-window-type-2-clutch-claw-car-security-device/

Steering locks are pointless as easily removed/cut unless its the full wheel type.

Fuel shut off solenoid is a good one with a hidden switch.

Wheel clamps only if they cover the whole wheel, them 3 arm ones are pointless and the clothes-peg like ones can be cut off with a cordless angle grinder in 30 seconds

Main threat these days is the low loaders.

Whilst people don't want to spend much on security, if your vans worth 10k plus then I suppose we shouldn't be complaining about something that is 1% of the van price

Dicky5ash said:
Agreed many thanks all.. what’s up with the sturdy 3arm wheel clamps?

The ones that cover the whole wheel with the triangle thing are fine, but with the 3 arm types, you can just cut one arm off with an angle grinder with a 1mm disc and the rest falls off.

What about something to lock it in reverse so even if they use a low loader it'd cause them more hassle?

NO vehicle is 100% secure (even new keyless vehicles) so a visual devise will make stealing more awkward and time consuming. My neighbour has a new BMW and fits alarm systems to buildings and uses a old fashioned 'crook lock' on his steering wheel together with motion sensor flight lights on his house. He has been ok but the guy next door to him with a nice classic BMW had the whole dashboard/steering wheel removed overnight on his drive.

Izzybay is right, it's about trying to slow them down and deterring the opportunistic ones