Vintage speed shifter fitting guidance

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davydomes

Reaction score
Does anyone know the whereabouts of a good set of fitting instructions for the above. At the moment our standard shifter performs better - so it has gone back on. Obviously this shouldn't be the case. Any straight forward guidance would be most appreciated. It's a RHD but I believe the same shifter can be used on both bandings. We bought it second hand off earlybay.

I fitted a VS shifter into a customers bus, total waste of money in my opinion. Just as sloppy an as long throws as a stock set-up (yes I changed all the bushes and the coupling too) Berg is the best, CSP is also top notch but tbh the empi hurst is a good shifter for the money

K@rlos said:
I fitted a VS shifter into a customers bus, total waste of money in my opinion. Just as sloppy an as long throws as a stock set-up (yes I changed all the bushes and the coupling too) Berg is the best, CSP is also top notch but tbh the empi hurst is a good shifter for the money

That's the very reason we changed back to the stock shift. No matter how we fitted it (with limited instructions) it was "all over the place". So we assumed we must be doing something wrong otherwise the shifter is "not fit for purpose". We've not give up yet but the Berg shifter would have been the first choice if it wasn't for the eye watering price.

I've got one fitted to mine and it's a million miles better than stock shifter and you can actually tell which gear you are selected no!! You mustnt have it fitted properly mate so I'd keep persevering as it's worth it.

Johnny69 said:
I've got one fitted to mine and it's a million miles better than stock shifter and you can actually tell which gear you are selected no!! You mustnt have it fitted properly mate so I'd keep persevering as it's worth it.

Cheers mate - We will have another go in a few weeks when changing the g/box. I thought we must be doing something wrong. We don't have any instructions other than those in the link above sent by spoonerdtg. Are these the same as yours?

How did you get on?

Found these other instructions; http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/cor...938&c=3504492&h=d917b4fbf192a71724ae&_xt=.pdf

I've also had issues. I had an empi trigger shifter, then got hold of a used vintage speed (original stainless shaft version). I could never get VS setup well, it was "sloppy", waving about even when in gear.
I got in touch with VS, who were really good, and they sent me a part to add to the base that would tighten it up a bit. It didn't work though. Tightening enough to make a difference, it wasn't then possible to pull up into reverse.
Speaking to VS, they then replaced the whole unit with a newer, redesigned, model (titanium shaft like instructions above). This is better, but I'm still not impressed with the amount of side to side play in the shaft.

bmxburner said:
How did you get on?

Not tried it yet mate. Waiting until Oct/Nov when we put the 6 rib box in and 1776. Thanks for the link, will consult it also.

To be honest, our current stock shift ain't too bad but needs "technique" to get the gears sometimes.

Latest posts