• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted 68 dash

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony73tt

Reaction score
As per title. I'm looking for a 68 dash. Yes I know it's a one year only part. However I want one.. :?

What's the difference between these and later dashes?

No such thing as a '68 only dash.
For the 1970 MY (August '69) the steering column attachment was changed, the padded dash top was given an equal rim rather than a flat section over the gauge pod, and the metal dash part was painted black rather body colour as well.
US/Canadian buses had padded dashes in black already.

Well there is an early dash, so it's different in as much as not having a cut out for the ignition housing as such, it has a hole with grommet for the ignition wires to go through, yes, most were body colour, perhaps switch holes may have differed and also the side to pillar would have I believe either two fixings or three, unsure of which way round but probably three.
Yes the dash pad was higher over the dials, and the panel to windscreen is different, I'd probably aim to get a 67-68 dash as year specific it's not, just changed as other bits did.

Ron

I have a high early dash pad in RHD with one small split for sale...

Ron

There is no such thing as a '67 Bay. Bays built between August '67 and December '67 are '68 model year vans. The VW model year runs from August to July. So if your van was built between those dates it is a '68 model.

Yes I get the 68 model year bit but I think what people mean, me included, is they were built in 1967.
This model has quite a few differences to a later 68 model year, no fire wall, no front pillar interior light switch to name two, I think it's great to have all these odd ball things as this is what makes the whole scene so great.
I had a guy come over to buy a tent from me, he came from the Holland, he knew his buses, I thought I knew a bit but he was something else.
The really early busses have a different chassis, passed over from the splitscreens he told me, he went over my bus with a fine tooth comb , well dressed but climbing around under the van, nuts.......
Ok, let's have a game, let's name the differences....
I'll start, sun visors,

Think there is a 68 thread on here someone started a while ago. Funny you say about the chassis the front of mine foes look very split screen

hogseye said:
I could do with a 67-68 padded dash top in good nick lhd

I just bought an excellent one at the weekend from Ninove. €30... well happy as I thought it would be impossible to find one not damaged. They are out there..

Latest posts