• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted. Complete tin top roof cut...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelighttaxidriver

Reaction score
As above really. Not planning to start the restoration till Autumn, but slowly starting to collect bits.
Need to completely replace my roof, as it is pretty rotten. Currently have a pop top fitted, which I believe was pretty new when I bought the van last year, and have only opened it once, just to have a look. Prefer the tin top look, so can do a deal on the pop top if required.
Prefer a rhd cut, with as much of the pillars and corners intact as possible, as the top 3" or so is also rotten.
May be looking for side window cuts too, after talking to Ozzie dog, but will cross that if I have to....
What you got, or who should I be talking to....? ;)

Edit: It's a '71 rhd earlybay by the way.....

You might try Jono on here as "fruit piece", his outfit is vintage valley on the south side of Bristol. Saw some good stuff when I was down at his place. Froggy picked up a nice roof from him as well. If you are going to un pick all the spots, then it dosen`t really matter about rhd or lhd. Your roof can be replaced by up to 1972, but anything after that I`m not sure of. I`ll keep my eyes open when I`m on various sites but there were a couple of tin tops that didn`t seem to be selling on vzi late last year, might be worthwhile to get on the different places and do a search to see if you can find one that`s been hanging around for a while. Seen them go from £300 - £500 as good tin tops, I think there was one with an original steel sun roof over in Swansea went for about that much. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Sobered up enough to get down the garage yet ???,,,, 8) :lol: :?

Plan on cutting along about 3" below the gutters all round, as that's rotten, so won't be unpicking all the spot welds... :). As you say, they do come up occasionally. Hoping to do a px with the pop top, to get it down slightly.

I'm watching that, thanks. Sounds like he may even cut down to below the windows. Would there be any differences with it being a late bay..? Would obviously change back to half moon vents....

Can I, as someone who's actually done this give you a bit of advice. The roof and sub structure and the pillars are made up of many different panels not just the ones you see ,these are to add strength to the roof and chassis. There is an inner pillar on all the A/B/C/D pillars and these need to be welded also before the outer panels are welded . Also it is far safer and stronger to replicate the factory seems and spot welds at proper factory panel joining points that just cut up and down the pillars at will .

Im not trying to piss on your chips , Just warn you that in an accident its better to have the vehicle to factory strength than odd cuts here and there possibly weaking the substructure of the bus

I hope this helps

Gadget ;)

We have some in stock from the states. From LHD buses. How is yours above your sliding door?
Please call for more info.

Hmmm.... See where you're coming from Gadget.... At work at the mo, so can't put photos up. Basically, mine is rotten both outside & in, including the inner horizontal bars above the windows. Had to patch one up to get through the mot last year, but really needs replacing. Think a total pillar up replacement is the most logical solution. Trust me... Not doing it lightly. Mine is rhd, so will I not have problems adapting a lhd roof...?

Latest posts